Latest Report outlining DEFRA's future Intentions

Leon Roskilly

Stavey - sorry I forgot your mullet, Dave Rigden will never forgive me now. I shall hang my head in shame forever...

Bloody things, they are exasperating, that's what they are. Bass are easy to catch - if you want a challenge go and try to catch those bloody Grey Ghosts on a fly - but you'll spend all year catching one fish ( if you hook it, hang on for dear life and pray it doesn't take ALL your line with it!!) More likely, you will spend all year NOT catching that one fish, so your line will be safe.

BUT, Stavey's point is very valid, Mullet too require protection of some sort. As far as I am aware they do not have any protection whatever at the moment - and the French think they are delicious -more like boiled mud to me. If I catch another one I will put it back. I used to spearfish them off the coast - and they still tasted of sh**e

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know leon, and its very upsetting to see such pictures, and when i stated its of no significant value to commercials it was meant in the context that these particular fish (grey mullet) would help to promote the idea of a recreational sportfish "only" status, and if that was done it would hardly have any effect to the commercial fishermens income if they took grey mullet off their list.

now i will await some flack from wurzel.

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Simon,

The really good thing about the Bass Management Plan is that not only does it set the scene for the management of other species (especially those like mullet, of little commercial value, but extremely high recreational value) primarily for producing a quality recreational product, but that the measures needed to protect bass will also help to protect other species, especially mullet.

And that's why it deserves (and needs) the support of all anglers.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Quoted from Simon Everett

You say you will go out of business, WHY? You might not make a living from KILLING fish, but what about using your vaste knowledge to take stupid anglers out to catch the same fish over and over - and charging them more than you make now for the privilidge?

I've never said I would go out of business if the bass mls comes in force, in fact as I work offshore and do quite alot of lure fishing I would benifit from it as would the French pair teams. It's my collegues working inshore that would suffer, It would take at least two perhaps three years for the presant stock to get to 45cm, if they ever did, what do you expect them to do?

You won't let them catch small sharks or mullet,not so much money any way, same for skate, theres not enough sole quota to accomidate more boats, further south the sole Quota is even less than ours, were there is lobster ground there are aleady other boats working. so what do you suggest they do for three years,how would you survive if you were kicked out of the office with no wages for 8 months of the year. I doubt any of you give a toss so long as you can clock off on a friday travel down to the coast with your wages in your pocket and try to catch a fish for fun.

Do you expect them just to except it with out a word?

I used to take out stupid anglers, odd not so stupid ones, but mainly stupid ones, no thanks, you can forget it, any way one good catch of bass equalls several angling partys,I would not earn more and I would have to put up with people like bitter and twisted Colin W spouting rubbish all day.

Nice catch of mullet leon, worth about £600 a good wage for a small boat opperater, so they are commercialy viable. so now I suppose you are going to tell me how much they are worth to RS bloody A's, well I don't give a damn.

I fish to live and live to fish.

so what do you suggest they do for three years,how would you survive if you were kicked out of the office with no wages for 8 months of the year. I doubt any of you give a toss so long as you can clock off on a friday travel down to the coast with your wages in your pocket and try to catch a fish for fun.

There is always "benefits" working tax credits etc, wurzel most modern familys today rely on these to pay the rent and feed the kids....

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

I knew sombody would come up with that suggestion ,

Benifits do not pay for business loan repayments, new nets that would be needed, mooring fees, boat insurance,crew wages a whole list of expences, do they pay the morgage? I don't know having never been on benifits.

I fish to live and live to fish.

Wurzel, if its all dome and gloom why not get a another job? You lot will be out work in a few years time anyway when you systematically kill off every viable fish species.

You'll be going the same way as the coal miners one way or the other.

JRT

Guest jay_con

Colin W.

Dont be Knocked my friend. I love your posts and think you say what many others are thinking but darent say so. Keep saying it how it is m8. Full marks.

Guest jay_con

JRT:

Wurzel, if its all dome and gloom why not get a another job? You lot will be out work in a few years time anyway when you systematically kill off every viable fish species.

You'll be going the same way as the coal miners one way or the other.

JRT

It doesnt take a very bright person to work out what will happen. Ive just come past the local ship building yard on my way home and my wife asked why they keep building boats when there is no fish to catch. I told her the new boats were shellfishing vessels. Without having to think about it she quickly replied " How thick are these people - There will be no shellfish soon either then"

quote:

so what do you suggest they do for three years,how would you survive if you were kicked out of the office with no wages for 8 months of the year. I doubt any of you give a toss so long as you can clock off on a friday travel down to the coast with your wages in your pocket and try to catch a fish for fun.

I'd guess that similar statements were made by those who hunted tigers to near extinction after the practice was outlawed.

Has it still not sunk in why measures like this (and much more) are needed in the first place.

.....And before you give me a load of old cobblers about fish stocks being healthy, I'll warn you now I will start posting pictures and extracts from my books on what the fishing used to be like on our coast before you and your friends decimated it.