Latest Report outlining DEFRA's future Intentions

Leon Roskilly

Just one more thing

Then the people you are listening to haven't got a clue what they are talking about. Try getting hold of factual first hand data instead of repeating hearsay.

What like gerryatric who recons bass can grow faster than cod.

I fish to live and live to fish.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

: I admit the average size of the bass is smaller than 25 years ago but a large percent of my catch are over 45 cm and through out the summer I have had several large fish up to 13LB.

Hey wurzel get it while you can 45cm this time 55cm next time and eventually bass will be made a recreational sea angling sportfish only and taken off the commercials list "forever" then other important species will be added, if you speak to us nicely who knows we might leave you the pouting :D:D

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

: I admit the average size of the bass is smaller than 25 years ago but a large percent of my catch are over 45 cm and through out the summer I have had several large fish up to 13LB.

Hey wurzel get it while you can 45cm this time 55cm next time and eventually bass will be made a recreational sea angling sportfish only and taken off the commercials list "forever" then other important species will be added, if you speak to us nicely who knows we might leave you the pouting :D:D

I Fish For Sport Not Me Belly

Wurzel, most folks here are reasonable minded and don't wish to ban all commercial fishing. The issue is the lack of CONSTRAINT by the industry and CONTROL of the industry. As for fishing subsidies not to catch bass, that's just crazy talk.

Catching fish is not the issue. With modern technology locating and catch them is easier than before. Is this giving the perception that there are more stocks?

Hi All

from the evidence given to the Efra committee earlier this year

The RSA sector primarily targets a fairly small group of mostly inshore fish, spending some £500 million a year doing so.

To give examples, the total reported value of commercial landings for a number of these species in England and Wales is as follows (Defra statistics).

Bass £3.2 million

Conger Eels £0.16 million

Dabs £0.085 million

Flounder £0.04 million

Rays £3.2 million

Other £2.5 million (includes mullet, sharks, tope and smoothound)

Total £9.185 million

cheers

Tom

wusel

I thought the number of boats working was getting less?50 boats that never used to be there sounds like the opposite.Are you sure you got your facts right?

4 boats working the same snadbank with 12000 yards of net for the last 20years?Are you sure?

Anglers dont want commercial boats abolished just because they think they are worth more money.its because of the damage that commercial boats have done to their sport.

Years of fiddling and theiving has left the anglers with nothing but undersize fish to catch. Being slippery has become an art form to commercial fishermen. Pahaps it got something to do with the amount of time they spend with wet fish?

Lots of people have had to take a pay cut in their jobs.Many more have been made redundant.what makes commercial fishermen a special case?They have made a nice living for years by taking something that doesn't belong to them and selling it and now they are moaning because they've taken too much.I dont feel sorry for them much.They have even fiddled quotas and landed undersize fish to make more money.You reap what you sew and commercial fishermen have sewn nothing. It's been take take take all the time and putting nothing back.Now they are wondering why the world seems to be against them.Its because they are nothing more than common thieves and the public dont like theives.

Bob

Hello Bob Jerunkel,

First lets get one thing cleared up, I notice you mention landing undersized fish here as well as other theads. It does not happen on a large scale and is generaly confined to pahaps a few bass or dover sole by a partimer, I have never heard of any large scale landings of undersize fish in the UK.I would not hesatate to report any one landing undersize fish.

If you Knew the way the quota system works you might understand why they were never abided by.

Pahaps @autumn@ will explain,I've explained it to him enough times.

The area I am referring to, Ramsgate to lowestoft is quite a large area, 50 boats is probably a under estimate, Ramsgate association claims 40 boats alone, most have been around for at least 20 years but not many were about 30 years ago,

yes the number is decreacing I can think of 8 boats that have gone recentley, as for the 4 boats working the same sand bank for the last 20 years with a total of 12000 yards of gill net, these days its more normal to find 2 boats in that area,I have seen up to 6, I personly have been working that area for about 27 years, we work no more or less net now than we ever have.

We are talking of bass, there is no need to fiddle or thieve they are not a quota speceise. if you are only catching undersized fish try fishing with Big Cod he's catching loads of large cod everdently,or a charter boat from Dover on this forum recently showing plenty of double figure bass, there were reports of respectable skate catches and smoothhound catches by anglers in our area this summer so to say there is nothing but undersize fish left is a nonsense.

You say we've been taking some thing that does not belong to us, well it belongs to us as much as it belongs to you, we are a lot better at getting it than you are. (that'll stir them up)

As for the bass stocks it looks likley there are at least 3 even pahaps 4 very good years coming up so I should be able to earn A nice liveing for a while yet. you say commercial fishermen take all the time, so what do anglers do, alright some put a few back but still take take and take all the time, they don't sow anything, I can't see the difference, unless anglers put back every fish they catch the only difference is the amount.

I don't concider my self a common thief, pretty good at my job though.

Hello Tom

what that got to do with the price of chips,

mind you if you want to pay me £50,000 per year till I retire, I'll quite happly stay at home.

I fish to live and live to fish.

So if a few undersized bass are caught in your gear and its breakfast time you are saying they go back. A lot of commercials eat the undersized bass and soles, if DEFRA was to check their freezers Im sure they would find a few undersized bass and soles.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!

I'll explain.You earn a living from selling something,same as a shopkeeper does.You have to catch your product,he buys his from the wholesaler.

If the shopkeeper decides hes not earning as much as he wants to,what can he do?If he follows the example of commercial fishermen he could get his boy to load stuff into his van while he is keeping the wholesaler busy at the till paying for some goods.That way he is getting more goods to sell.Then he could sell his customers short measures.

What does that make the shopkeeper?Good old local grocer,been doing it for years salt of the earth?or thief?