Lob worms

Peter M

I've been burying used tea bags around the edge of the garden all year as a means to attracting some worms for hookbait. Having used various worm types for Bream, Roach and Perch throughout the Summer and Autumn, I can honestly say I haven't had so much as a solitary bite when using one. Either I'm doing something so simple so badly, or I've been unlucky!

And here was me thinking I was not only doing my bit for the environment by recycling, but also nurturing myself some cheap bait!!

NB: I know there are other ways, such as using a bit of old carpet or a more traditional wormery approach, but burying the teabags 6 inches below the surface and giving the area plenty of water and a turn now and then really does work a treat.

Additionally, I've seen several old related posts refer to this URL which is sadly no more:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon11.htm

Anyone know what the gist of the post was?

tea bags? just leave a bit of carpet lying about and worms come to you if you keep it wet ,even on concrete (not so many ofcourse).

plactic bags do the same but then your garden looks like a landfill site :D

buy some well rotted manure from a farm youl get plenty of worms and something for the roses.

or just go hunting on the playing fields on warm nights and transplant them to your garden or baitbox

Edited by chesters1

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I seem to remember no but not 100% sure as Ive always kept them seperate for convieniance. Great Pike bait and I remember the Irish Pike Team winning several of the International by twitching lobs.

Interesting. I've made a few half-hearted attempts at twitching rubber jelly worms but with no success. Anyone tried this? It *should* work but I need more practice, I think.

The best time to fish is when you have a chance.

Interesting. I've made a few half-hearted attempts at twitching rubber jelly worms but with no success. Anyone tried this? It *should* work but I need more practice, I think.

After learning a bit about fishing plastic worms from Newt last year I managed quite a few smaller fish on them from the Thames.The big thing to get your head around is that 90% of the takes are really subtle and enevitably on the drop.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Additionally, I've seen several old related posts refer to this URL which is sadly no more:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/leon11.htm

Anyone know what the gist of the post was?

Elton likes to confuse by moving things around.

Try http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Miscellaneous-...es/wormery.html

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Q1: I'm interested to know why lobs, as opposed to dendrobaenas, are seen as a super bait. Dens gets very big (easily big enough for a size 12 hook) and wiggle a lot. So what do lobs have that they don't?

Q2: Should I start a lob wormery though?

A1: Dendrobes exude a yellowy, stinky fluid that some fish find quite unappealing. I find it quite unappealing too BTW. Many fish aren't bothered at all and big dendrobes can be just as good as any lobworms, especially for perch but some fish simply just don't dig dendrobes at all (don't dig dendrobes...lol) , or at least that's my reasoning behind the difference. I might be wrong as to the reason but there is definitely a difference. Lobs are fairly bland, extremely active and they're also quite durable. If I'm unsure of the species in a water, I'll go for lobs every time.

A2: No, lob wormeries are hard to get going and keep going. Lobs prefer a neutral PH medium to live in, which is hard to maintain when your wormery relies so heavily on household waste. Dendrobes on the other hand are very acid tolerant so they can withstand all kinds of rubbish going in to their home. Dendrobes are a dawdle to breed and grow on and they eat just about anything, so as far as wormeries go, choose the dendrobes.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...