Conservation ? what a joke....

Cranfield

Well I finally found someone describing the size of pair trawls. Since it was a submission to parliament I hope it doesn't rate as "rumour and inaccuracy".

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c.../88/3120306.htm

As for me grouping all commercial fishermen as "lawbreakers and pariahs" (your words not mine) well as it happens that IS how I see them, an opinion formed by watching their behaviour in my local area and reading about what they get up to elsewhere in the media (court appearances etc NOT rumours). I have read on here that it is impossible to make a living legally out of fishing and yet they DO make a living. From that I can only draw one conclusion.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ColinW:

Well I finally found someone describing the size of pair trawls. Since it was a submission to parliament I hope it doesn't rate as "rumour and inaccuracy".

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/c.../88/3120306.htm

"The trawl is massive (ie you can fit seven jumbo jets inside it)."

Linda Hingley is a trawler skipper so I would suspect that she knows what she is talking about!

See:

http://www.brixhamseawatch.fsnet.co.uk/Bac...background.html

http://www.brixhamseawatch.fsnet.co.uk/Bac...ch/bycatch.html

Tight Lines - leon

[ 05. August 2005, 04:48 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

ColinW:

As for me grouping all commercial fishermen as "lawbreakers and pariahs" (your words not mine) well as it happens that IS how I see them, an opinion formed by watching their behaviour in my local area and reading about what they get up to elsewhere in the media (court appearances etc NOT rumours). I have read on here that it is impossible to make a living legally out of fishing and yet they DO make a living. From that I can only draw one conclusion.

Thats the same conclusion I came to. Thing is though Colin these commercial fishermen think that is ok as they are only making a living. Just like burglers, armed robbers and crack dealers I suppose - Just making some cash to survive.

Incidentally, since this thread has gone a bit "off topic", at no time did I say that the southern english fishermen are using these massive pair trawls. I said that they are using purse seine nets. I know this for a fact, because I watched a guy from Newlyn using this method to catch sardines on TV about two weeks ago on the "Coast" programme.

Well I've read all the links and can only conclude that youre reading very selectivly and not very well at that.

Linda Hingley to the best of my knowledge is not a fishing boat skipper but her husband is. She is co owner of a boat because her and her husband bought it between them and my guess is that they have formed a ltd company to run it.

The information about the nets being big enough to fit seven jumbo jets in is at best anecdotal with no evidence to back it up or is wildly innacurate, it does'nt appear on their website.

The 'evidence' provided to Parliament is even condradictory in content.

If any one wants to put any hard and real evidence forward then I will gladly review it.

This aside to the thread regarding 200 yard wide nets started from someone posting about 20m boats pair trawling and their ability to tow 200 yard wide nets with a capacity to fit a jumbo jet.

I think it was bull then and I still do absolutely no grasp of reality.

As far as the question of how big would a boat have to be in order to store on its decks then that is still the point as when pair trawling both boats have to come together , collapse the net and transfer one of the trawl warps.

One of those 20m boats then has to take the net on board release the catch. Can't steam forever with the net over the side ,they have to store it somewhere on deck otherwise how do the fisheries inspectors get a chance to inspect it.

Perhaps the way some of our posters think we'd be better off fining all motorists because some speed ,jail all TV watchers because some have no licence or round up and inter all those who have HP or loans because some people may have a ccj and default.

Crazy is'nt it , well thats about the level of some of the argument on here when talking about commercials.

I'm not by the way advocating pair trawling just trying to correct some of the absolute bull posted about commercials

Colin pair teams tow at approx 400 mtrs apart the net is nothing like that size but the warps act as a net nothing will swim outside of those warps when they are pulling the trawl, but they must close before halling then all the fish goes into the codend if they dont close most of the fish escapes these boats have massive catch capabilites approx 10-1 against a single trawl, saw a copy of fishing news today they are at it again talking to a skipper out of peterhead he recons there is a much fish in the north sea as there was 10 years ago that paper is a pile of crap infact ita a joke ,the game they are playing is try and get more quota for the big boys.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg