Conservation ? what a joke....

Cranfield

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian Carragher:

Linda Hingley to the best of my knowledge is not a fishing boat skipper but her husband is. She is co owner of a boat because her and her husband bought it between them and my guess is that they have formed a ltd company to run it.

Seems that she is no longer directly involved in the running of the boat :(

"Mrs Hingley, 48, was given a year's conditional discharge and ordered to pay £350 costs. She had admitted 13 offences.

Martin Salloway, for Mrs Hingley, who is a well known environmentalist and campaigner for Brixham Seawatch who has been awarded the MBE for here dedication to marine conservation, said she had been separated from her husband for the last four years and had nothing to do with the day to day running of the Jacoba."

See FISHING BREACH FIRMS FINED

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

http://www.eurocbc.org/page124.html

Posted Image

http://www.chelonia.demon.co.uk/Pelagic%20...20CDs%20NEA.DOC

"Catch rates varied from 110kg.h-1 of sea bass Dicentrarchus labrax to over 20000kg.h-1 for mackerel and horsemackerel Trachurus trachurus. The largest trawls in this fishery had openings of up to 60m by 100m."

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/reference/encyclo...n/m0016543.html

jumbo jet

Popular name for a generation of huge, wide-bodied airliners including the Boeing 747, which is 71 m/232 ft long, has a wingspan of 60 m/196 ft, a maximum takeoff weight of nearly 400 tonnes, and can carry more than 400 passengers.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 06. August 2005, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

http://www.eurocbc.org/page33.html

"The Scots pair trawlers fished a variety of semi-pelagic trawls selected according to the length and horsepower of the vessels towing them.

The net manufacturers describe the overall size of the trawl by the circumference of the net mouth, which ranges from 600m to 1400m in nets up to 500 m long.

In order to minimise the drag created by such a large net, the meshes are graded, decreasing in size from 16 m (stretched mesh) at the mouth of the net to an 80 mm mesh codend, although 100 mm is occasionally used.

The larger meshes near the net mouth serve to herd fish into the codend, as well as offering little water resistance.

The favoured semi-pelagic bass trawls are constructed by French manufacturers Le Drezen and currently cost approximately £35,000 for the 950 m circumference model. Some fishermen prefer to buy second-hand bass trawls or choose to modify whitefish nets to reduce expenses."

http://www.fishonline.org/information/meth.../#pelagic_trawl

"In mid-water pair trawling the otter boards are replaced, and the mouth of the net kept open, by a pair of trawlers.

This enables vast nets, often ¼ mile wide and ½ mile long, to be towed through the water column to capture the fish."

Tight Lines - leon

[ 06. August 2005, 11:02 AM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

We have seen a massive reduction in white fish since the bigger pair trawling started about 6years ago ,pair trawling has been going on for a number of years now but the net they started using 6or 7 years ago has done massive damage to the stocks around here ,even the lads who single trawl complain about this method ,it needs severly restricting not only for porpoices but for sake of the whitefish stocks and also the damage it has done and is still doing to the sea bed,they were taking massive halls of cod 4or 5 years ago and cant understand where it has all gone now if there is nothing to breed the **** hits the fan.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

big_cod:

they were taking massive halls of cod 4or 5 years ago and cant understand where it has all gone now if there is nothing to breed the **** hits the fan.

see http://www.anglers-net.co.uk/sacn/latest/i...ex.php?view=364 :(

TL - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Fantastic thread for showing how little each of us knows, and how we assume that just because our local area works in one way, then everywhere else must be the same! :D

I'd think that many, of the NE Scotland /Orkney/ Shetland, pelagic trawlers could indeed fit a jumbo or two in their nets. I can't for the life of me think what this has to do with fish conservation though?! , and can't recall seeing any of them ever being down in England fishing for bass.

These huge boats, with their huge nets, are making a profit, don't need to break quotas, and the stocks they fish are mostly in good health. There are good reason the boats and nets are the size they are.

A bunch of guys (whatever nationality) angling for mackerel, however many they take, is not a conservation issue; they could all fish for years and still not take what a modern boat could take in a night.

Thing is, the pelagic fisheries are in good health; these big boats with their big nets are controlled and little threat, but emotive language about jumbo jets fitting in nets/industrial/hoover and all the rest is great stuff for media savvy environmentalists to bash the whole fishing industry with.

As for Brixham beamer skippers (or their wives) giving advice on conservation... :D:D

I'd happily see a ban Beam trawling and scallop dredging this afternoon..

Chris

[ 06. August 2005, 12:08 PM: Message edited by: Jaffa ]

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

Jaffa:

I'd happily see a ban Beam trawling and scallop dredging this afternoon..

Chris

Oh Yes please, especialy the latter :):)

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Guest jay_con

Jaffa:

but emotive language about jumbo jets fitting in nets/industrial/hoover and all the rest is great stuff for media savvy environmentalists to bash the whole fishing industry with.

Chris

About time in my opinion jaffa. The commercials have this propaganda agency pumping out constant crap about healthy fish stocks. Time to let people know the truth i think.

Which fish stock is in good health jaffa??? Cod??? makeral??? or what?? and how did you arrive at that conclusion??

[ 06. August 2005, 01:28 PM: Message edited by: @SUMMER@ ]

@SUMMER@:

@SUMMER@:

but emotive language about jumbo jets fitting in nets/industrial/hoover and all the rest is great stuff for media savvy environmentalists to bash the whole fishing industry with.

Chris

About time in my opinion jaffa. The commercials have this propaganda agency pumping out constant crap about healthy fish stocks. Time to let people know the truth i think.

Which fish stock is in good health jaffa??? Cod??? makeral??? or what?? and how did you arrive at that conclusion??

Now you have to be joking @summer@ :D . The "propaganda agency" being the fishermens organisations i presume? IME fishermen are like truckers and divers; away from home so much, and so dependant on their own efforts for the weekly paypacket that they are godawful at organising or agreeing on anything. Your typical fishermens organisation is a couple of office staff, fronted with a couple of semi retired "worthies" from the industry.

Many of the environmental groups currently bashing fishing, fish farming and other, non urban, ways of making a living are backed by the billions of American pressure groups like Pew.

Do you imagine the Scottish or English fishermens associations have the power, money and influence to get a paper into the "Science" journal, even though its easily shown to be unsound; yet Pew have succeeded in doing exactly that!.

As to the state of the stocks, check ICES, check anglers reports; pelagic stocks are doing well.

It suits some to mix up the differences between demersal and pelagic pair trawl, the different methods used for different species around the Uk ( greenpeace chasing a couple of 55ft pair trawlers this spring, while going on about nets that could fit jumbos was a classic. The pair caught zero dolphins as far as i'm aware).

Spin and propaganda might seem useful in the short term but IMHO its a scary thing when you start to think past that. The hate that is directed towards commercial fishermen on this board is beyond belief sometimes. :(

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net