Conservation ? what a joke....

Cranfield

Guest jay_con

Jaffa:

The hate that is directed towards commercial fishermen on this board is beyond belief sometimes. :(

Chris

On a personnal level Jaffa I hope I would not hate any individual in here or anywhere in life just because of a difference of opinion. As a group I aint keen on commercial fishermen.Why??? because of thier greed. For many years we heared "there is no black market", "there is no problem with fish stocks", "pair trawling is sustainable", "its the seals not us", "its global warming", "the scientists know nothing", "were sticking to quota's".

I could go on forever jaffa. Lie after lie after lie has come from the commercial propaganda machine. Even anglers in this forum were convinced by these lies. They all fell rather silent when journalists went undercover and made claims like 80 percent of scottish fishermen break the law everytime they put to sea and when court cases relating to over quota fishing started to pop up all around our coast. With the likes of that chap from the shetlands taking 7000 tonnes of fish he had no right to take and making "3.4 million from the scam" is there any wonder I am a bit unhappy with commercial fishermen?

I am an angler and love fishing, it takes up a very large part of my life. My passion has been ruined by other mens greed and they havent even got the decency to stand up and be honest about what they have done. Shame on all of them.

As for fishermens organisations being broke - Give your head a shake . Take a look at some of the names attached to these bodies (not naming any specifically) . Amongst them are the fat cats we have discussed many times before.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Leon that posting you put up very interesting reading its so true what is happening here ,believe me you could not long ago walk on cod here of whitby and what i have seen over the last 20years you can see why we are in the postion we are in now TOTAL OVER FISHING but knowbody will exept the fact there has been thousands of stones of cod taken year in year out from these grounds and many small codling infact probably more in numbers dumped back over the side, i have a lot of friends who are trawlermen and we have a our banter why it is up **** creek but the fact is plain to see i have seen the decline over the years and i have seen the fish quey overe flowing with cod full thousands of boxes mainly taken inside of 12mile box the grounds hammered to death and people who have not got a clue try and blame other factors to why we are in the position we are in now are not well informed putting it mildly.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Guest jay_con

Big Cod

Here is an interesting quote from Leons article: " He said the problems with the cod are not only from overfishing, but also from changing environmental conditions on Georges Bank. "Water temperature on Georges Bank is three degrees above average over the last three years. We are in the southern range of cod. Cod needs cold water," Mr. Howard said. But he said overfishing is the primary reason for the decline."

Most probably right but how can he say that and be sure 100% that it is overfishing and not global warming??? Is it an opinion or a fact???

[ 06. August 2005, 05:49 PM: Message edited by: @SUMMER@ ]

@SUMMER@:

@SUMMER@:

The hate that is directed towards commercial fishermen on this board is beyond belief sometimes. :(

Chris

As for fishermens organisations being broke - Give your head a shake Why do you assume that whats happened in your area is true for the whole country? And tell me this - who put the rules in place that destroyed fishing communities up and down the east coast?

I heard fishermen complaining about rockhoppers /pair trawl 20 years ago but there was no way their worries could be turned into any kind of action; it was big goverment time and the goverment always knows best.....

Now some anglers have finally woken up - just a pity they pick the wrong targets. Don't blame all fishermen for the way things are now; this is a designed disaster :(

You go on about the problems like black fish like they are something new. Fair enough since you know little about the commercial sector, but i doubt that anyone that knows anything about the history would get on their highhorse as you and others do.

Rockhoppers and inshore pair trawl screwed my local grounds, just like they did yours. Big pelagic pair trawlers/purse seiners/single boat trawlers had nothing to do with it, or with the destruction of anyones angling sport.

Chris

Help predict climate change!

http://climateprediction.net

skippytheroo:

what is a pelagic pair trawler? Excuse my ignorance :P

It's a mid-water/top-water trawler, catching pelagic species.

Pelagic species are mid/top water swimming fish such as bass and mackerel.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest jay_con

Jaffa:

Jaffa:

Jaffa:

Chris

As for fishermens organisations being broke - Give your head a shake . Take a look at some of the names attached to these bodies (not naming any specifically) . Amongst them are the fat cats we have discussed many times before.
Maybe we both need to give our head a shake Why do you assume that whats happened in your area is true for the whole country? And tell me this - who put the rules in place that destroyed fishing communities up and down the east coast?

I heard fishermen complaining about rockhoppers /pair trawl 20 years ago but there was no way their worries could be turned into any kind of action; it was big goverment time and the goverment always knows best.....

Now some anglers have finally woken up - just a pity they pick the wrong targets. Don't blame all fishermen for the way things are now; this is a designed disaster :(

You go on about the problems like black fish like they are something new. Fair enough since you know little about the commercial sector, but i doubt that anyone that knows anything about the history would get on their highhorse as you and others do.

Rockhoppers and inshore pair trawl screwed my local grounds, just like they did yours. Big pelagic pair trawlers/purse seiners/single boat trawlers had nothing to do with it, or with the destruction of anyones angling sport.

Chris

I really dont think things are as rosie up there as you choose to beleive.

Ok maybe things started going wrong 20 years ago, Hindsight is a wonderful thing, unfortunately we dont have a time machine to go back to the 80's to do things differently. But in more recent times rules/legislation has been put in place to try rectify the situation, for the past few years no one has taken any notice what soever they have continued to steel from our shared resource.

I feel someone needs to get on thier high horse because whilst everyone stays silent things dont change and the fish continue to disappear and I for one aint happy about that and I will do whatever I can to try an alter things and if at the end of the day thats not good enough at least I can say I didnt dig a big hole in the sand and put me head in it.

Do you really honestly beleive jaffa hand on heart that overfishing is nothing to do with our damaged fish stocks??

Quoted by @summer@

Which fish stock is in good health jaffa??? Cod??? makeral??? or what?? and how did you arrive at that conclusion??

1720 boxs of mainly haddock from 9 days fishing by a single boat, not a pair team. Stocks" best for a decade" says skipper after bumper trip (fishing news).

I fish to live and live to fish.