Tips?

Ed Matysiak

I fish off a long stone jetty here at Aberystwyth but all i seem to catch is dogfish. Even a big bait just gets ravaged until they find a hook. Is there any bait, rig, method i can use to cut down on dogs and catch some other species? I use a lot of squid and they seem to love that

Ed - how are dogfish as bait?

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Hi Ed ..

You are not fishing near a sewer outlet are you ? Dogs seem to gather there. Also, are you fishing at night ? Lots more Dogs than in the daylight !

Try getting your bait off the bottom. ie Float fishing.

Stay away from Mack bait .. Dogs can smell it a mile away ? Try worm/shellfish on the float.

Good luck !

[ 20. October 2004, 06:28 PM: Message edited by: MrWiggly ]

The Older I get .. The better I was.

my experience here in the iom, is if the dogs are about they are a curse and will take any bait that is put in front of them. night time here is even worse. ya best bet is move to a nearby venue. fish baits are to be avoided as they are a dog magnet!!

was fishing for bass a couple of nights ago with lug, eleven dogs in eleven casts, give up and went to the local!!

sorry, not constructive advice, but i dont think there is a real solution. we have them here in plague amounts so i sympathise with you

• 5 months later...