Alaska 600 small boat

thurso angler

Does anyone have one? 21.6ft made by the same people as the seahog boats. Are they good sea-boats? are they common/rare? good/bad?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Hiya T.A. Welcome to AN, what a cracker of a boat, looks like a wee belter.Sorry ,but I cant help you in your quest, but "Dutch" :D will help you out, no doubt....Hows the fishing up in Thurso, I used to go there on holiday ,stayed with my Aunt and Uncle in John Kennedy Drive, He worked at the US Navy Listening base at Forrs ???I think thats what it was called. Great Days...and fishing Loch Calder with him and my dad. All the best.

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

Thanks for the picture, it looks like a cracking boat in the picture but I am just concerned about the fuel and oil costs for a boat with 2 motors, I have one and it is expensive, worth if you can afford it though.

The boat would suite me down to the ground because it looks as if you could sleep on it (ok bit rough). So Friday evening out for a few hours after work, kip on the boat then an early start in the morning, magic:-)

As I said, boat looks fine and well looked after but the expenses should be well looked into, ie morring fees insurance, state of the batteries, anti fouling, trailer? etc.

Take 3 looks at the boat before you decide, we took 1 look and are paying for it :(

Good luck

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

I had an alaska 500 the boat was good and very seaworthy. I looked at getting an Alaska 600 when they were produced by Shetland Boats. I do not think that the new producer of the alaska 500 makes the 600. The boat was a lot longer than the 500 but was only made to take a 90 hp outboard the 500 took upto 75hp. The 600 was a lot heavier than the 500 and Shetland boats told me it had some ballest up front!The boat with a 90 hp on would plane, it would not have a good power to weight ratio. There use to be one working commercially from Bridlington that is the only one I ever saw in the flesh.

prp

Alan Taylor:

... but I am just concerned about the fuel and oil costs for a boat with 2 motors, I have one and it is expensive, worth if you can afford it though....

We are going more and more to 4 stroke outboard motors. Higher initial cost but much more fuel efficient along with quieter running, etc.

The main driving force here was concerns about air quality. California has now outlawed 2 stroke motors for boats and other states are likely to follow along.

The friends here I've spoken with who have changed over have convinced me to go that way with my next one even with a $2000 price difference on a 90HP. For you folks, I'd think the fuel costs would be a large factor as well.

http://www.outboardrepairs.com/topics/011619.html

http://www.suzukimarine.com/sr01/info/emission.htm and especially

quote:

DF115/90 compared to similar-size 2-stroke outboards:

At idle: uses 75% less fuel

At wide-open throttle: uses 31% less fuel

DF70/60 compared to similar-size 2-stroke outboards:

Idle to 1000 rpm: 75% better fuel economy

3500 to 4500 rpm: 55% better fuel economy

Wide-open throttle: 35% better fuel economy

DF50/40 compared to similar-size 2-stroke outboards:

Idle to 1000 rpm: 80% better fuel economy

3500 to 4500 rpm: 58% better fuel economy

Wide-open throttle: 29% better fuel economy

DF30/25 compared to similar-size 2-stroke outboards:

Idle to 1000 rpm: 60% better fuel economy

Wide-open throttle: 30% better fuel economy

http://www.mass.gov/czm/boatenginescoop.htm

http://www.epinions.com/otdr-review-3765-4...-39543BC9-prod1

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Norrie, the fishing up in thurso is good at the moment we are catching haddock around holburn head and mackeral everywhere!! and about 1 mile off the american base at murkle yesteday afternoon we were getting lots of good medium cod.

All very exciting as myself and two mates are newcomers to sea-angling but we all went out and bought a alaska 600 last week together, along with rods and seem to be getting on pretty well for beginners!!

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

Great stuff, Glad to hear of the good fishing, I was up at Scrabster a couple of years ago, I fished terribly, no Braid and couldnt hold the bottom, things are different now however, might come fishing up there soon :D , you never know.

[ 30. July 2004, 12:23 PM: Message edited by: Norrie ]

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

thurso angler:

Does anyone have one? 21.6ft made by the same people as the seahog boats. Are they good sea-boats? are they common/rare? good/bad?? :confused: :confused: :confused:

I also had an Alaska 500 from new when Shetland made them. I put two 30HP Mariners on it and it was as near a perfect trailer/fishing rig as you could get - very roomy, stable, beamy and felt safe. The 600 was just a scaled-up version, I think you could get an enclosed cabin but it was very basic, most you see have the GRP spray screen and extended canvas spray dodger. There are quite a few around the South Coast and you still see them secondhand, try a search in the usual places. Earlier models were of a buff coloured fibreglass, later models were white. Hope that helps.

East Hampshire Boat Anglers www.boat-angling.co.uk