Absolutely Stupid.........

Guest jay_con

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As you intend, take your own rope and just hope it is not taken while you are at the wrong end of it.

Do you have a community policeman that you can talk to about the situation or better still know an angler (policeman) that uses the rope? a few words to the couple "might help".

Would giving them and the nice couple that you met a fish now and again help? Just say you have enough for your table and hate waste? The nice couple might see who takes the rope if they are out walking.

I did see on a tv fishing programe some guys fishing from cliffs and getting nice sized fish, there was no way down so they lowered a tripple hook gaff head clipped onto the main line and attached to length of about 1mm polly prop line to take the weight of the fish and haul it up, it could be an alternative.

Not knowing the location thats about all I can sugest.

Good luck

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Winter,

Might be worth offering the dear soles a fish or two??

You may be able to appeal to their better nature by showing you care about their predicament, ans concerns.

Its so easey to become tunnel visioned in this sort of fued.

Try to reason with them both, instead of threatening Police action.

If none of the above work......smack him squarely in the mouth, and call the insulation chappy. :D:D

Seriously, I hope you sort it !!.

YY

It sounds like there are two cases in law of thretening behaviour and criminal damage, I would have a chat with your local police and let them know what has been happening, let them know that you have the permission of the land owner to be there but that these people are causing problems and let them deal with it.

Then have a chat with the local paper, they will prob, be looking for stories and this is a human interest story.

Good luck,

David

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

P.S. If anything does happen to your car, then that is criminal damage and the police would (or should) be interested.

David

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

Guest jay_con

They dont have a better nature yakity unfortunately. More diplomatic people than I have tried and failed. They have been rude to some of the nicest people you could ever meet.

I would gladly offer fish to the older couple, they are great and always happy to see you. I spoke to another nieghbour of this chaps tonight who was outside talking to a friend. They both said the only word to describe the man was T--t, obviously they have nieghbours too.

Alan thanks for the suggestion It is actually possible to fish from the cliff just to the left and I have in fact been thinking of this for some time as the ground there looks better than the spot I actually fish. I will be giving it a go sometime. This will probably cause more trouble as it's right outside the chaps garden gate. But its on a public footpath so why shouldnt I. Im interested in the gaff thing to Alan did it work well? I have great difficulty getting fish up the cliffs.

Ive been to the same spot tonight still no rope. I managed to get down and up the cliff ok. It needs a new rope though as if you slip you wont stop rolling untill your on the rocks at the bottom. I caught a fish of a bout 3 pound, I returned him unharmed. you lot must be getting the better of me.

From what I remember it was a tripple hooked gaff about the size of a fist, it was attached to a bit of line that was long enough to reach the fish when the clip stopped at the terminal tackle.

The clip was attached to another length of line and the fish was hauled up, looked bloody dangerous to me but it worked a treat.

If the above does'nt make sense I will try and draw a picture and scan it to you.

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

****@@WINTER@@****:

How did they ensure the hook found the fish?

Those I have seen have three gaff hooks mounted on swivels. The hooks swivels are attached to a horizontal ring and the hooks are mounted vertically. The hooks are mounted so that the points are inwards always swing together. There is a break in the horizontal ring so that it can be threaded over the line, and the whole apparatus has an extra line attached to it. The line is threaded into the ring and the whole thing is allowed to slide down it to the fish. Once there, the fish's head is pulled as vertical as possible so that the weight of the "Gaff", (it is called a line gaff)forces open the hooks and so they slide over the fish's head. Once it has gone far enough over for the points to be in the region of the gill covers, retrieval begins by virtue of hauling up on the cord or rope attached to the gaff. If everything works as it should - and normally does - the points will catch under the gill covers, or the hooks will penetrate the flesh and the fish can be hauled to the top of the cliff. It is important not to reel in line during the recovery. If the fish falls off the gaff it is better to have it fall back into the water and a repeat performance may then be possible. The line gaff is a remarkably efficient piece of equipment and some years ago I shipped several of them out to American anglers. I think that they cost about AU$30 at the time, but I guess that they would be about double that now.

Just found a picture of one. They are now AU$80, about £33.00

Posted Image

Thanks to Campbell's ProTackle Perth WA.

[ 05. December 2004, 06:37 AM: Message edited by: chevin ]

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.