Angling Times - 40lb Cod pg.31 - My Arse

RobT

Just flicked today's AT and noticed a most laughable story regarding a 40lb cod caught from a private boat out of Poole.

The bloke must be about 7 foot tall if that fish is anywhere near that weight - it looks about 25lb. A forty pound fish with no Roe (this fish is no gut bucket) would be over 4ft long - To my knowledge there has never been a forty pounder landed around here that isn't full of Roe, they certainly aren't the prettiest of fish.

This fish was weighed at sea but the pics are quite obviously ashore - with the boat in the background - why did they not weigh it on dry land then?? And why did the AT print the story - looks just like the Giant Pike story of last year - use the story story to sell a few extra copies then defend the action when people question the authenticity.

Another point the guy is a sales manger for Orkney boats - the fish was caught on a test trip - and guess what 'Orkney' is mentioned plenty in the story.

Have a look and let me know what you think..

Rob

waterman1013:

Rob

You old cynic, you.    :D  

Looks about 14lb to me!! Probably a typographical error.  Or could it be advertorial.

Mike

I hope my topic on a Dutch Cod looks a bit more realistic.

I know this skipper very well and he has no need to

BS.

Shame its not allowed to send the AT pic though.

:D

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

More of a freshwater man myself but did a few boat trips 4/5 years back and even I can see that fish isn't anywhere near 40lbs.

I've noticed a lot of piccies in the weekly mags that do not look as though fish are anywhere near the claimed weights, do the editors just take for granted what they are told and print pictures to try and impress the readers? What do they take us for complete idiots? Surely they should apply some form of "professional" judgement before going to print

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

i`m always ( when i`m not catching them )a little sad to see really large cod pictures .if you think about it its probably been alive longer than some of our posters ,happily going about its business then gone..............................................but great with chips

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Polly:

More of a freshwater man myself but did a few boat trips 4/5 years back and even I can see that fish isn't anywhere near 40lbs.

I've noticed a lot of piccies in the weekly mags that do not look as though fish are anywhere near the claimed weights, do the editors just take for granted what they are told and print pictures to try and impress the readers? What do they take us for complete idiots? Surely they should apply some form of "professional" judgement before going to print

It must be a tricky dilemma. As a business, do they turn round and call their paying customers liars, or give them the benefit of the doubt. I'm sure more photos of that ilk get binned than printed, but the odd one that gets through certainly provokes comment :)

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE