Bait Needles - how do you use them?

101_North

I had a go with the baiting needle last night - apologies Sam but it's not going in the bin just yet

What I did notice was that I didn't burst as many worms as usual - and I did reckon that the overall presentation was maybe better.

On the downside though I don't think the extra time it took to bait up was worth it and I still struggled sometimes to get the worm over the eye of the hook and up the line a bit - I find that they often turn in on themselves - bait needle or not!

At 30p it was a cheap way to learn a few things I didn't know beforehand. It'll be staying in my tackle bag as I'm sure it will come in handy at some point.

Cheers

Oh and I had an enjoyable few hours fishing and finished with a couple of nice codling :)

30p for a baiting needle thats cheap i paid £2.50 for mine

and he made out he was doing me a deal (thats what all tackle shop owners do when ripping you off) but i still thinks it well worth that though as the baits stays on hook better and less messy id never go back even though it would be quicker to

macky:

if your rag turn in on them selves  over the eye of the hook

its a sign your rag aint the freshest

but some do have tough heads

That's worth knowing mate as the rag I was using were shop bought. I'll maybe troll through the forum archives and find a better method of storing them overnight.

Edit:

Just found the post 'Ragworm woes'. Just thinking out loud but maybe the same issue with my shop bought rag? Who knows

[ 28. June 2005, 08:21 AM: Message edited by: 101_North ]

Guest stevie cop

I've used bait needles before for very big ragworm, 12 inches and above. It does make life easier if you want the worm threaded all the way on. The only trouble is I keep losing the needles!

You can now buy them in a sleeve.tape the sleeve to one of the legs of your tripod like a sheaf. Now Im a dozey sod But even I havent managed to lose one of them yet

Someone once said to me "Dont worry It could be worse." So I didn't, and It was!

انا آكل كل الفطائر

I made a vow today, to never again argue with an Idiot they have more expieriance at it than I so I always seem to lose!