boat rod

dickandjill

Have a look at the Conoflex range. The Pollack rods and 6-12 have a perfect mix of carbon and glass.

If you fish light then you need a rod that will bend right through. Some of the well named ugly sticks are a snooker cue with 18 inches of floppy glass on the end, and are no good for absorbing the dives of a powerful fish.

A Tope well into the eighties was caught on a Conoflex 6lb class pollack rod and it handled it easily.

www.ssacn.org

www.tagsharks.com

www.onyermarks.co.uk

How much are you willing to spend?

The new Snowbee rods are very nice with good fittings throughout - real Fuji guides, not look-a-likes which bend. I have their 8lb class and would happily go wrecking with it matched to an Ambassadeur 7700cl.

Another one to look at is the new Greys Longboat. They do an 8lb class, a 12-20lb and a bigger one. I would say the 8-12 is plenty for what you want. I think the RRP is about £100 - so you should get one for about £85. They are very, very nice rods.

The Conoflex that Ian mentions are glorious too.

What I would say is that don't skimp on price. If you shop carefully you really do get what you pay for (you can also pay a lot of money for a name and crap.

If you buy a cheap rod don't be surprised if the rod blank turns in it's ferrule under strain or the rings go rusty after 3 trips, despite washing it as soon as you get home! By the way, wash your gear in COLD fresh water - using warm water seems as though you will dissolve the salt away faster - NO, it speeds up the corrosion process. Use cold water for a little longer! I put mine in the shower and wash my reels under the tap - EVERY TIME, even if I am going again tomorrow. My 6000 is still going strong without ever going back, I bought it in 1973.

If you invest in good tackle and look after it, you will see your money back many times over. It won't let you down on a big fish and will give you more pleasure to fish with.

Buy cheap and you will always have your hand in your pocket, you stand the risk of losing a big fish if things give up the ghost and it will become a chore to fish with. I have seen it many times on the charter boat when clients would have to borrow tackle as theirs broke on a big pollack, or the rings broke or other nuisnace factors took over.

Save yourself some money. Pay a bit more now and get reliability.

Simon Everett

Staffordshire.

Fishing kayaks:

White& Orange Dorado

Olive Scupper Pro

Yellow Prowler Elite

Touring kayaks

Red White Skua

White & Orange Duo

Ian Burrett:

Some of the well named ugly sticks are a snooker cue with 18 inches of floppy glass on the end, and are no good for absorbing the dives of a powerful fish.

Well said Ian, the Uglystik Gold's & Elites are nowhere near as good as the 1480 model, simply because they're too short. CJS2 - My 2yr old 1480 easily enough guts for 25lb+ fish (I've had cod & ling over 25lb on it), I dunno when the 'new' 1480 came out?

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

I dont know either, I believe Steve C' has the low down on these rods, have used a modern one about 6 months ago on someone elses boat, did not rate it much, 'personal opinion'.

I favour 12lb Abu Suveran, have a pair, magic action blank, but they aint cheap, I paid £99 each (£170'ish rr?) in a stock clearance. Also have the 20/30lb, that to is a wonderfull blank, same stock clearance.

A point worth noteing, if you get to do any uptiding and have a 20lb Suveran, try it as an uptider. Casting is not the best as the grip is not proportioned right, do the best you can. Enjoy the way the blank works whilst fishing the bait, then there is the fight with a good fish on, feel in that blank is awsome!!!! Same applies to the 12lb rod drifting for bass, I dont know how Suveran 7'9" boat blanks are made, they just have something speciall. Not sure about the Suveran uptider, dont have one, never used one, heard mixed report? Working on a blank of my own for the perfect Uptider!!!!

CJS2