Angler Saves Lives

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Elton:

A true hero:

I am very surprised that there have been no responses to this one, probably just stuck for words, I know I am. :(

Well done that man and his helpers. They give medals for all sorts of rubbish but this team deserve the highest available to a civillian.

This will sound petty but just another reason for not banning fishing, we are on hand as this man was to help.

I hope that in the same circumstances I would have the GUTS to do the same.

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Yes, a hero. If he is a local (ie Cromer) man he will know of a long tradition of brave men of that area.

I lived with my grandparents in Cromer during part of the war. We kids looked up to Coxswain Henry Blogg like modern kids regard Beckham.

A lifeboatman for 53 years (38 as cox) Henry Blogg won three gold medals, four silvers, the George Cross and British Empire Medal. He retired as cox at age 70, but then went out in the lifeboat again as an ordinary crew member.

Mr Herbert is a worthy follower of a great tradition

[ 03. June 2003, 09:00 PM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Great to see that in times of peril, anglers keep their heads. band together and do the right thing..after all, who else is out in all weathers fine and foul studying the sea and has the required respect not mess with it.? I bet they knew just what to do when the time required action and just how far they could push their luck. Good publicity for sea angling and a reminder to brush up on your own safety procedures whilst fishing.

I`m certain that angler/nurse would have rathered the parents of those poor kids had shown a tad more responsibilty?

It happens more often than is reported, that sea anglers or skippers are the first ones on the scene and save the day. Remember the kids on an inflatable off Anglesey last year?

I`ve been on a charter boat more times than I care too mention, when we`ve been alerted to a nearby yacht in distress or kids have been blown off the beach by offshore winds.

Of course the team-work displayed by those anglers deserves all the credit they get.

Unfortunately. I think the kids will just get a scolding? "You got us so worried". But will other parents suddenly become more watchful regarding their kids? I have the pessimistic view, that they will not.

Life isn`t all Corrie and Eastenders. Nature can kill without a tad of remorse. When will townies get their act together. We are all reponsible for our children. If you don`t keep an eye on them, they`ll end up doing something stupid.

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Vagabond:

I lived with my grandparents in Cromer during part of the war.  We kids looked up to Coxswain Henry Blogg like modern kids regard Beckham.

Meandering again.

After Lord Derby died, my grandmother, who had been his nursemaid, went to Cromer where she looked after a Captain Stanley. I imagine it was a well-to-do family. Do you know if they are still there?

Another lady, of like status, picks up on our local estate. She was telling me a couple of years ago how she went to a coursing meet in Norfolk to see a greyhound, in which she owned a share, run. She said that one of the other owners there was the Coxswain of the Cromer lifeboat.

These to instances would have been about 100 years appart.

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

Jim Roper:

my grandmother.....went to Cromer where she looked after a Captain Stanley. I imagine it was a well-to-do family. Do you know if they are still there?

The name rings a distant bell - I have a vague idea one of the Bond Cabbels (local landowners) married a Stanley. The family must have sponsored the Cromer lifeboat as one of the early lifeboats was called the Benjamin Bond Cabbel.

However, I left Cromer a long time ago, and have no living relatives there now.

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...