Good atlantic halibut caught

thurso angler

Off dunnet head, two days ago weighing 50 lbs by a angler whilst fishing aboard local boat suffolk cheiftan, and the brittish record was caught off scrabster in the 80,s weighing arond 285lbs, according to the local rag where picture is included. This has made me think as has bob on stronsays post that the type of fish on offer here is much more than is caught or targeted??

Ive always known of halibut off dunnet, and my father tells me that there used to be a large lemon/plaice/turbot fishery off murkle bay by the commercials in the 70-80,s all these areas/species are not targeted by anglers or commercials anymore using bait and anchoring up. I think the potetial is very big, what do you all think??

[ 13. July 2005, 12:02 PM: Message edited by: thurso angler ]

"Colonel Gadaffi, knows more about fishing than the whole of westminster put together"

Alex Salmond 2004 SNP Leader

"Forza Dons"

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They are on our target list. One old boy up here used to fish for Halibut commercailly and he has given us maps of where he used to put long lines for them. I know from what he has said that in the seventies some extremly large fish were caught but because they were longlined they would not count for records. They counted them in stones not pounds and some of the wieghts he mentioned sound almost ridiculus.

A few mainland anglers have also reported seeing Halibut following caught Coalfish and Pollock up to the side of the boats in the last few years.

I think this is the same as the Skate and backs up what Davy Holt said on the telephone to me a few months ago. In the seventies when they were fishing for them commercailly, they hammered them so much they became almost fished out. But the young fish would still be down there.

Thirty years on with no more fishing of this type they are now back and in large numbers but the fact they they were ever here is almost lost on many of the islands population. I have lived here almost twenty years and in that time the only fishing done locally is handlining for Coalfish for bait to go in the creels.

I was in the local shop (Owned by one of my fishing friends and the man who spotted the Skate) yesterday and we were talking about the encounter of Sunday night. Some of the other shoppers just would not believe us. The shame of this is the only way they will believe in large Skate, Halibut or Porbeagle existing around here is when they see one hanging from a deric on Stronsay peir.

This is what I and some friends are trying to do by rediscovering the angling potential of these islands and by what we have seen in the last few weeks we are on the right track.

With the sighting of that Skate and the feel of the power of a large fish on our rods I have now convinced the other Stronsay anglers of what I have been saying for the last few years and this should help us with our project.

I am looking forwards to seeing many new species in the coming months as we rework the already fished (handlined with feathers) grounds and spread out to new and never fished grounds with baits stuck firmly on the bottom.

http://www.stronsay.co.uk/seasports/fishing

Bob

British boat stands at 106 kg (234 lb) and was caught by C. Booth off Dunnet Head, north Scotland, in 1979. Apparently by a lady whom had never had never fished before. The shore record lays open.

A massive 2 metre long Atlantic Halibut, Hippoglossus hippoglossus, was caught by fishermen and brought into Aberdeen in August 1998. It weighed 135 kg (298 lb). Although in the past Halibut up to 2.5 metres long were reported, these fish no longer get the opportunity to attain this size. They are caught before they grow to their maximum size.

The largest fish caught on rod and line from a boat in British seas weighed 106 kg (234 lb) and was caught by C. Booth off Dunnet Head, north Scotland, in 1979.

In 1957 a fish of about 232 kg (511 lb) was landed by commercial fishermen at Grimsby.

Altough I have heard from two sources that the fish came to the Heb. Warrior??

Toodle pip!

[ 13. July 2005, 05:26 PM: Message edited by: SandTiger ]

Hiya,

What's that old saying... "one Swallow doesn't make a summer"

That being said there is a good chance there is a come back being made. The problem now will be making sure the comeback continues :(

If every fish is killed when it's caught then the chances of a decent recovery are slim, given the alleged track record of the boat with the Porgies .. I don't see them returning any Halibut :(

As Thurso says, a lot of the odd grounds have not been fished for years after they were hammered to oblivion.. given the reduction of Commercial Pressure on these areas we are now seeing the start of the recovery. let's hope none of the commercials decide also to try targeting them again :(

I still remember clear as day the day we seen a huge halibut at Duncansby Head, this thing was clearly visible from the cliff top and was easy 8' long

As for a trip up.. I'd love to but I'm knackerd with holidays now this year

[ 13. July 2005, 07:31 PM: Message edited by: Davy Holt ]

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Davy Holt:

Hiya,

What's that old saying... "one Swallow doesn't make a summer"  

That being said there is a good chance there is a come back being made. The problem now will be making sure the comeback continues  

If every fish is killed when it's caught then the chances of a decent recovery are slim, given the alleged track record of the boat with the Porgies .. I don't see them returning any Halibut   As Thurso says, a lot of the odd grounds have not been fished for years after they were hammered to oblivion.. given the reduction of Commercial Pressure on these areas we are now seeing the start of the recovery. let's hope none of the commercials decide also to try targeting them again  

I still remember clear as day the day we seen a huge halibut at Duncansby Head, this thing was clearly visible from the cliff top and was easy 8' long        

As for a trip up.. I'd love to but I'm knackerd with holidays now this year    :(

:cool: I've got loads of holidays left, at the moment, wife wants a trip to Madeira on Ron's boat, feels lucky. Keeping a week for Portugal if needed, probably go to Costa Rica in February, anyone interested? Stronsay if anyone interested and willing to organise. :D

Norm, From what I hear ,it will be easier getting to Costa Rica than it is to Stronsay....trust me mate...But ...Costa will be on my agenda....hopefully in the not too distant future.... :D

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I know very little about your kneck of the woods lads, but we hear in the south have a saying , if a fish dont get fished for then a fish dont get caught.

It seems you have a catch 22 situation up there, if you proove a decent haliburt, turburt, common skate fishery exists then you have to lurn how to protect it from the TROPHY HUNTERS & MONEY GRABBING COMMERCIALS.

Good luck lads, the project sound like fun, im watching this post with interest.

BASS MEMBER

IGFA Member.

Supporting ethical angling practices and wise use and conservation of fishery resources!

SACN Member.

NFSA Member.

Getting confused by politics!

MY LIST IS LONGER THAN YOURS!