LED headlamp > which one???

etivejunkie

Definatly pay the money if you can and like socky says if youre out at night alot, I find fishing at night more productive and more of a challange which is where the fun lies in it for me so the good headlight is a must if the only time youre out at night is if you get cauht out by the short days of winter an LEd lamp for around the 20-30 quid mark will do just fine. The small clip ones that Newt recommends can also be clipped to youre tripod and angled up at the rod tips with a bit of reflective tapes this can be very efficient.

women love me, fish fear me!!

http://www.alba-rods.co.uk

Riverside Tackle SAC

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The MFA I bought has served me well I only really use the Led's and I bought 4 2000ma NiMh AA batteries. Ive used it on one set of batteries for over 8 hours fishing at night and there was still enough power left for the walk home thru the forestry...... I was tempted to get a 6v sealed battery for more power but dont see the need.

Skippy

So many questions so little time....

I agree that Samalite/Tiga (which I have) are without doubt the best headlamps around for rock fishing, but in answer to the specific question of what is the best LED headlamp I really dont think the £6 ebay jobbie can be beaten.

I thought it would be a bit of a toy when I ordered it, but even after being used to luxury of my Tiga I was well impressed with the £6 12 LED 'Toy' and it is now my preferred headlamp for places that aren't pitch black (piers promenades etc)

If it had a recognised manufactuers name on it then I am sure it would (a) get a superb write up in the angling press and then (B) be snapped up readily for £20-£30 by anglers.

For £6 what have you got to lose ?

I should be on commission :D

Hi Manxfisher,

Just bought one for £1.75 + £5.99 post.

Can't be bad at that price, I wanted a second one as backup, saves changing batteries.

I fish, I catches a few, I lose a few, BUT I enjoys. Anglers Trust PM

eat.gif

http://www.petalsgardencenter.com

Petals Florist

LED's are fine for baiting up etc., but some of the marks I fish suffer from crabpots, so it's really useful to have a 6W+ halogen lamp to look out to sea with to spot the pot bobbers. I have a petzl Duo LED which I use for short sessions, the LEDs are great, but the halogen isn't bright enough, nor does it last long enough.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Guest jay_con

Re : Tiga, It depends what type of angler you are. If your going codding from the rocks stay well clear

. I wouldnt have one given for fishing purposes.

If you fish for species that dont seem to mind a bit of light then I guess Tiga will be fine.

If you buy a small headlamp, why not convert it to a 6 volt lead acid battery. A battery and charger will cost you 15 pound from maplin and will last many years (up to 8 hours light per session)

@winter@:

If you buy a small headlamp, why not convert it to a 6 volt lead acid battery. A battery and charger will cost you 15 pound from maplin and will last many years (up to 8 hours light per session)

I did this with my Zoom, worked brilliantly until the heat from the bulb softened the reflector which meant that you could only turn it off by disconnecting the battery. Using a bulb rated for lower voltage (5V) means they burn brighter, but wear out quicker.

Like Fresh coffee? www.Bean14.com

Guest bennyTHEBASS

I use the speleo anglers light with 7led's and main bulb, exellent headlamp. the main halogen is very bright,the led's are a blueish white so they dont glare others.9hours+ halogen 12+led, when im rock fishing it stays on all the time no need for those crappy petrol/parafin lamps.its original design was for caving tough as old boots :D:D

It certainly seems from some of the posts (and from simply thinking about the situation a bit) that shore/pier anglers who do frequent night sessions would benefit from having several lights.

A bright (but large and clunky to manage) one for finding your spot to fish and for other times when you needed serious light for something) and another for use while fishing to be able to watch rod tips, tie up new rigs, and land fish. The smaller and lighter, the better for this one.

Not a problem for boat anglers usually since the bright stuff is usually part of the standard boating equipment.

I don't know about anyone else but when I'm fishing at night and my eyes are pretty well dark-adapted, I neither need nor want a bright light and don't even much like it when others nearby use them. Red is good since it has pretty much zero effect on night vision but also isn't real great for seeing. Green seems to be a good compromise.

White is certainly beetter for finding your way around though.

[ 21. January 2005, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President