Boat Rod - advice please

kevthefish

Going to start boat fishing after around a ten year lay off - been shore fishing all that time. :D I'm looking for a boat rod for fishing rough ground for rays, conger whatever comes along and I will not be wreck fishing. There's such a large selection out there I thought I'd ask you guys for some suggestions - ideally between £40 - £70. I have thought about a 30lb Ugly Stik - these any good?

SEA FISHING THE SOUTH WEST

www.seaswest.org.uk

kevthefish:

Hi Kev,

what sort of line will be using? The reason for the question is that when I use braid I use a realy bendy rod to make up for the lack of stretch in the line. I have the Penn power stick but would not recomend, the rings are rusting at the seat. I am not the only one with this problem.

If you are using Nylon you can get away with an Ugly stick but to me they feel a bit like using a broom handle.

If you are near to a charter boat, ask the skipper which rods he uses for his rod hire.

You could also hire a rod for your first trip and see what the other anglers are using.

If you have a decent tackle shop near you, go in and handle the rods, get someone to swing off the end to see how it bends and feels.

If you are going to be boat fishing in the depths of winter, try and find one with lots of rubber on the handle, saves your hands from freezing to metal.

Not much help I know but it brings it back to the top

Cheers

Alan(nl)

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

Using braid means you need less lead to hold bottom, therefore you can use a lighter rod.

If you have to use nylon/mono and heavy weights, then any of the 7ft or less Ugly Stiks will suit your needs, as will many similar types of rod.

If you can use braid, consider an uptide rod,the Ugly Stik Gold 8.5ft is a nice rod, (they can be used "downtide" as well).

Or a lighter 20/30lb class rod.

I agree with Alan, go into your Tackle Shop and handle a few, look at the whippings and finish closely.

There are a lot of bargains out there.

"I gotta go where its warm, I gotta fly to saint somewhere "

Hello Kev.

Went wrecking this past Sunday using a 14lb Ugli stick!! It works, just takes a tad longer to bring the fish up, but is a damn sight more fun than my old Shimano 30/50 !!

The new generation of rods have a lot more power and elasticity than the `broom sticks` we all thought were neccessary 10 yrs ago.

OK. If I was to go after serious conger (70lbs +), then I`d use a heavier rod.

But for simple wrecking on the drift I wouldn`t dare show my face on the boat with a 30lb class rod!! My mates would never let me live it down.

As others have stated. Braid makes a whole load of difference. Where you might have used a 1lb lead in the past, you might get away with 8 or 10 oz with braid. I stand to get shot down in flames. But unless you have to pull up `Heavy` fish quickly, you won`t need a 30lb rod nowadays?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!

Fully agree with Spasor and others about use of Braid, it makes a great difference, and once you get used to using it, you find it hard to return to braid!

I would recommend a 20 lbs class rod, or if you can find one for a good price, a 12-20 lbs class one. The Daiwa Powerlift ones are great rods, and can be found for pretty good prices if you shop around.

I'm using a Penn Tidecutter 12-20, looks like a spinning rod almost, has plenty of power and great sensitivity, and its rings are designed especially for braid (which is great for fishing into the wind). I recently pulled up a 3 Pollack on it from around 50 meters, for a total weight of 32 lbs, and it still had plenty of power in reserve I felt. The Penn Tidecutter 20-30 is a great rod also.

There are so many good rods on the market just now at good prices you should have no problems. :)

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Hi Kev

The Ugly Stiks are not a bad buy I use 12lb & 30lb Class rods

30lb Rod has brought in some good fish 24lb+ Conger (Swansea) 16lb+ Ling (Swansea)

11Lb+ Bull Huss (Rhyl) 14lb+ Cod (Whitby)

12lb Rod has brought in some good fish 4lb+ Pollack (Rhyl) 3lb+ Coalie (Whitby)+ I use it for Boat mackereling,its great sport.

OK they are not big fish but is there any monsters out there today?

It's good fishing on the 12lb class cos the fish gives you a lot of sport

On the Portland Race i've used and uptider and the 30lb class rod and caught some good Bass on both,but would not use the 12lb Class,as you need to get the fish up quick cos of the speed of the currents and drift of the boat.

If I was to fish the Portland Race often then a 20lbish 6'6" Ugly Stik would be my choice,but fishing there is another story.

Yes I do use braid and would never go back to mono when rough ground and wrecking,you can feel everything on the bottom

I do use mono when uptiding because the method needs the bend and stretch of the line for the fish to hook itself.

I would use an Uptiding rod if your in the Severn or Thames esturies, where there's shallow water and fast flowing tides.

Yes if you can go into a tackle shop and have a good feel,but unless you know the dealer,remember most of them are salesmen not fishermen.

Good luck on your choice

Cheers 4 Now

John E

Cheers 4 Now

John E

ANBanna.gif

Sorry John.

I`ve dragged a 20lb conger against the tide out of Swansea( full ebb tide) with a 14lb ugli stick. I had to walk back up the boat for the skipper to gaff it.

Light rods + braid won`t catch you more fish. But you`ll have more fun bringing them up?

Paul.

We don`t use J`s anymore!!