Pension the old girl off . . .

Sutton Warrior

Nothing to lose by giving this one a try for as long as it lasts. Just make sure anything you are fond of is regularly backed up to the spare drive.

I wouldn't worry if you ran the windows update checker (from the Microsoft online help site) and it didn't find any missing ones.

The most likely source for problems will be the video card if it needs updating. Use the info from the belkin report and google to see if there is any sort of update available to download.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

SW,

The problems you are having and the heartache [more like frustration!!] they are causing remind me of computers I have had in the past.

Believe me it isn't worth it, you need to bite the bullet and upgrade to a new machine!!

Unless you can get the parts at a realistic price upgrading your present machine isn't worthwhile, you are better to put the cash towards a new machine. I know I've been there!!

My current PC I built myself and it's been brilliant but it's now 3 years old and all the bits [should I need them] are no longer available for replacing. Even the hard drives are soon to be obsolete. The motherboard is beginning to die [i think] as I've lost the use of a couple of USB ports so I'm looking towards a new machine in the near future.

So get a new one as soon as you can afford it [perhaps from your tame PC guy] your life will improve greatly well at least your peace of mind will!!

Colin

Edited by Colin Brett

SW,

The problems you are having and the heartache [more like frustration!!] they are causing remind me of computers I have had in the past.

Believe me it isn't worth it, you need to bite the bullet and upgrade to a new machine!!

Unless you can get the parts at a realistic price upgrading your present machine isn't worthwhile, you are better to put the cash towards a new machine. I know I've been there!!

My current PC I built myself and it's been brilliant but it's now 3 years old and all the bits [should I need them] are no longer available for replacing. Even the hard drives are soon to be obsolete. The motherboard is beginning to die [i think] as I've lost the use of a couple of USB ports so I'm looking towards a new machine in the near future.

So get a new one as soon as you can afford it [perhaps from your tame PC guy] your life will improve greatly well at least your peace of mind will!!

Colin

I'm stealing my self for the parting of precious 'hard earned' :cry: As you say Colin, peace of mind, waiting for a quote to be emailed to me with a price on the spec., I want. Every one has been kind and patient, I know I go round and round in circles, untill the head hurts :headhurt:, indecision is my middle name these days :wallbash:

I may go the whole hog and get a new monitor, the present one appears to be lacking luster, despite re calibration. You know how it is, over 6 years, one does not notice change. This became aparent when I posted a few pics the other day on another photo site, the members are a bit more 'Geeky' than our down to earth lot :rolleyes: They started to mention things I could not see in the pictures? recalibrate, better but still lacking. Now we are on the roundabout re monitors, do I, dont I . . . :bangin:

Ho-hum, SW :doh::camera:

6 y/o monitor - replace. No ifs, ands, buts or maybes.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Anyone got a view on XP v Vista, they say Vista has many of its problems sorted, but thats not the same as 'all of its problems'? . . . :unsure: Even heard the other day, MS will dump Vista and are looking at a new operating system for 2010/11 ???

SW

It's called Windows 7. The public beta is out tomorrow. Microsoft will want Windows 7 in the shops by Xmas 2009. Newt and I agree on most thing's IT wise, 'cept he likes Vista and I loathe it. I'm hoping to get a download of the beta tomorrow. The first 2,500,000 to ask for a download get it.

I'm all for building a machine of your own that you can upgrade by my last home build just has too much old technology in it to upgrade it any more. When I come into some cash I'll be building a new one. I might even buy a Dell. Dell do some nice kit.

Oh and like newt said, 6YO monitor, should probably go in the bin. Mind you having said that I have an Iiyama Visionmaster PRO in France. It is getting on for 10 years old now and my nipper won't swap it for anything. That maybe an emotional rather than a rational thing with him though.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Get a Mac :lol:
The only Mac's worth having cost a fortune. Apple are a rip-off company, more form than substance.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/01/07/ap...-expensive-ram/

Need a new hard disk, you have to buy it from Apple, cause they put a wee ASIC on their SATA controllers that will detect if you attach a non mac drive, or at least they used to. I'm not a Mac 'hater' I'm sitting next to one. OS X looks nekkid next to Windows 7

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!

Anyone got a view on XP v Vista, they say Vista has many of its problems sorted, but thats not the same as 'all of its problems'? . . . :unsure: Even heard the other day, MS will dump Vista and are looking at a new operating system for 2010/11 ???

SW

Windows 7

The only Mac's worth having cost a fortune. Apple are a rip-off company, more form than substance.

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/blogs/2009/01/07/ap...-expensive-ram/

Need a new hard disk, you have to buy it from Apple, cause they put a wee ASIC on their SATA controllers that will detect if you attach a non mac drive, or at least they used to. I'm not a Mac 'hater' I'm sitting next to one. OS X looks nekkid next to Windows 7

Compare like with like :rolleyes:

Taken from the site you directed us to.

"If you go to the Dell website, find a comparible 17″ machine -such as the M6400 - that can run Windows Vista 64-bit (since no other Windows will register more than 2GB of RAM), then look at upgrading the RAM from 4gb to 8gb, it costs £873. The total package will cost more than the mac and have a lower spec of CPU and HD.

I’m not saying Mac’s are not expensive, but if you’re going to make comparitive statements, compare comparible machines. The fact is that top spec’d laptops from OEMs are expensive, no matter who you buy them from."

I have a PC and a Mac (I have a lot of docs in MS Publisher which is not part of the mac MS Office suite)

Once I upgrade them to Adobe Indesign the PC will no longer have a function.

Edited by Sportsman

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/

I have 10.5.6

Have you tried it?

It exists, whereas all I saw on that site were "what we intend to do"

BTW I also have a non Mac HD (one of 4 :) )

Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.

Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity

http://www.safetypublishing.co.uk/
http://www.safetypublishing.ie/