still no mullet!!

manxlad

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All

I thought you mullet men might be interested to see these pictures.

A friend of mine took them while we were fishing on the ebro in spain last year.

He spent two hours enticing the mullet closer and closer with crust and mash so that they were within a foot of his camera lens.

Nothing huge, but nice pictures nonetheless.

I think they were thin lipped, is that correct?

We didnt get any pics of them out of the water , although we caught one or two on floating rubber corn of all things when the carp and cats were not feeding.

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QwBvAMES9maMpNHMsGD5TI0iWXW!87zjHqOwBgEIem7dMa5eunpmlqjKotedR6de0QAvIBYoYZ4oDrE

lQelnvVhHLICOIUnYf4qKVchi6uQ/amu1.jpg?dc=4675422830194798976

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0QwDeAsISNGf*Bel1iYuKCfbQi631hCgj0CAkuzodXIiQ7pxq86HFtQ1fb90!tDM5Dv3ikactZvrWEpX

E56Eebpo2MVJzV44pqBiGV5!NG2k/amu2.jpg?dc=4675422830196787387

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RgAXA1IU*89kwPL2HvIZK4NVP4t2SLp0ZGEN19*xQlApAO20Mi5UZQxn3HI4ZsXhH4G*LZF32wM99h*

qcjR!xGUHLN4seRJs4IexWrn2DJk/amulots.jpg?dc=4675422830198775798

good luck

ADAM

Second trip this year ... first fish ... 5lb

:D

In one hit I've managed to

1. Catch my first mullet of the year....

2. Break my long running Duck on Sun Pier (3 yrs??!!!!!)

3. Get a new PB

4. Catch a fish of 5lb or more......

Guess that's my session over .. looking forward to 2004 :rolleyes:

PS.

Paul (Chippy), spoke with Chris Ball yesterday afternoon .. he was fishing Bonne Nuit with a 3lb'er under his belt .... if you want do get in touch with him, I'm sure he'd love to go fishing before I get over in Aug..... oh and if you see any of those 8lb'ers ..... hands off until Aug

WeymouthSean:

Took a 4.3 thick lipped on floating crust yesterday. Officially weighed at Weymouth Angliing Club.

I hope that it went back alive, it would have been around 15 years old.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon Roskilly:

I hope that it went back alive, it would have been around 15 years old.

If it didn't go back alive, I hope somebody ate it. What a waste!

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

mullet at last!!

had three mullet today out of ramsey harbour, around the 3 to 4lb mark, also lost two, my mate george had a fish of over 6lb, all were taken on floating crust,and all returned safely. here's hoping for more of the same.

tight lines too all

paul..

Guest sslatter

Coupled with the warm weather, this week on my local hotspots has seen the usual half-term madness of Mums and kids all wanting to feed the ever-present swans, and a plethora of anglers trying every method under the sun to tempt the mullet and bass. Kids in seventh heaven, and fishermen cursing. And nobody was catching anything. So I decided to put my time to good use and go and try to scout out some new marks that were away from the hurly-burly. Looking at my local OS map, I noticed an area of a tidal river stretch that looked promising. It was an area of creeks and inlets that was only accessible by boat, or by a long walk along a public footpath that started at the end of a 3 mile long country lane, through a wood. It looked as if it would not be seen by many visitors, so I got in the car, and 45 minutes later there I was on the bank. (I subsequently did some research, and found that the creeks and inlets were actually cut out in the 19th century, in order to drain the then-marshy area). The tide was about an hour after the low, and most of the creeks were empty, but there was one area that had water ranging from 6” deep to a hole of about 4 feet, and it was on the rise. So I just sat there for about an hour and watched. There were hatches taking place of at least 5 different types, and it all looked very fishy. I soon noticed two fish in the shallow water near the opposite bank. They were hanging around underneath rafts of floating weed, (don’t know the name, but it’s very common- small oval green leaves on short stems, a bit like watercress). I noticed they were taking insects off the surface, but what was interesting was that if an insect alighted on an area of clear water, the mullet weren’t interested, but if an insect landed on a patch of the floating weed, they took it. They weren’t competing with each other, they were about 20 feet apart, and didn’t go near each other. As the water rose, a couple more fish started showin over towards the opposite bank, and I cursed the fact that I didn’t bring any bread with me. Anyway. I’m planning a trip there tomorrow or Tuesday, and I’ll keep the forum posted. I’m going to try crust on a controller, and I’m going to lay on with a small waggler in the deeper hole with a second rod. So let’s see.

(Just as a postscript, one of the locals told me that he’d seen some mullet which were on a well-known grayling stretch of the Itchen. He said they must have got over the weir, or up the fishpass into the freshwater. I must say I was a bit dubious, but I went and had a look where he said, and he was right! There, underneath a bridge, was a mixed shoal of grayling and 5 mullet! Fishing always has a new surprise).