still no mullet!!

manxlad

Grant - Where's fishermans pier if you don't mind me asking (being a "bean" I should know already I suppose :D )

Phil - I fished another new spot today - I was tipped off by a resident in the area that there were some largish mullet regularly appearing there. I managed 4 in an 90 mins - biggest 3lb 1oz, the smallest was all of about 8oz's at a push!! :D

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter

I'm in shock, cloud nine, 7th heaven..I've just come back from catching probably the biggest thicklip I'll ever catch. It's just sinking in. 7 lbs 8 oz. Oh my god.

:( :confused: :):D:D:D:D

Guest sslatter

There aren't any pix. I've never been that bothered about getting photos, but yes, for this fish it would have been brilliant to have some photos. But I never take my camera when I go fishing on my own, which is usually the case. The whole kit is bulky, it's too much extra to carry, and I like travelling light. I don't own a digital that I could just carry in my pocket. Anyway. I don't care! :D I hooked it in a two foot hotspot right near the end of the run off at 9.30 pm last night, on 5lb b.s., size 6 barbless, breadflake, quivertipping with 2 and a half swan, on a short line under the rodtip, from the far end of a promontory, as it was on the edge of the dropping tide. All the mullet that were upstream of this point at high water have to pass by this mark on their way downstream (deeper water) as the water level falls, and as they do so, they invariably check this small feature out (it's about 30 square feet of riverbed) as they pass by. The shoal is now quite sizeable, and must always pass by this point at two stages of the tide, once from two hours before low water, and once from two hours after low water, each time lasting about an hour. After this point, they move on upstream as the tide rises. When the water comes back down, they pass by again. I caught two 5 pounders from this spot last week, and yesterday evening, the hot time on the dropping tide was going to be from about 9-10 pm. So I went down, and 5 minutes after the water had dropped to two feet, I hooked the fish right under my rodtip. It was huge. Long, and not skinny. It was fat, like a grossly oversize chub. Fat. I detached the landing net handle, I weighed the fish in my net as per usual. It took my balance down to 8 lbs 2 oz. Maybe you can imagine how I was feeling? So, minus the 10 oz for my wet net, that meant 7 lbs 8 ounces. By this time I'm going into shock. I mean, I knew it was way bigger than anything I'd caught before, and I thought it was a very good upper six, but I didn't dare think it might go seven pounds. When I saw the weight, I still couldn't believe it, and weighed it again. It was 28 and a half inches long from tip of nose to tip of tail. And of course, it went back alive. It was out of the water and back in again within three minutes. It took nearly forty minutes to land, on the second outing for a new rod as well. Blimey.

Myself and another mullet local have both seen the shoal at low tide, not much further downstream, where there's deeper water and features where they hang around lazily waiting for the tide to turn. They shoal according to size, and this shoal has three biggies, around which the others congregate. I think the fish I was lucky enough to catch was one of the smaller two. The largest one we've seen is half as big again, I kid you not.

I haven't slept all night, and I'm still buzzing now, probably will be for weeks. Superb.

[ 22. June 2003, 03:36 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]

Chippy:

Well I think I must be losing my touch  - I haven't had a decent sized mullet for a couple of weeks now!!

Seems like eveyone else is doing well though.

I know the fish are about because I've seen loads, just can't seem to hook 'em!!

er, I caught my first fish of the season yesterday, at the NMC Sussex fish in, on the river Ardur. I doubt that it weighed 8oz!!

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Guest sslatter

Phil the Fish:

Phil the Fish:

First mullet tonight on a pin! 3 lbs 10 oz. Cheers Chippy!      :D          :D          :D    

were you fly fishing in the creeks, that you wrote about earlier????

Phil

Hi Phil..

No, I was floatfishing with breadflake from the end of a local pontoon in the estuary. I haven't been to the creeks for a couple of weeks. The last time I was there it was nearly 100% weedlocked, but I'm going to try and get there this week and give it another go.

[ 29. June 2003, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Graham X ]