Hello all. New here. Scottish Kayak/rock fisher

Jaffa

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yakity,

Humminbird do a similar camera, no idea of cost, but looks tasty.

Did the chap turn up, I've tried a bit of fly fishing from my yak, easier than it looks, found the casting easier with an intermediate saltwater line on an 8# rod, it isn't so easy spotting the fish though, haven't had enough nerve to try standing up yet, I know it sounds mad, but in a flat calm I might just try it!

Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Hi Starvin

Yes he turned up, he was very impressed.

I got the Yaks on the grass and let him sit on.

Straight away his arms started makeing paddleing motions :D .

Realy nice guy,was a wind surfer.

He wants to fly fish from the Yak, lure fish too.

We are going to take him down on a calm day and let him try our Yaks out.

Hes going to sell his windsurf gear and buy a Yak. Looks like another member to the fold.

Ive stood up on the Navigator,but not for long :D:D .

Some of the U.S. guys use out riggers, seems to work for them.

Im toying with the idea of a sail now.

Saw it on one of the Kayak sites, got to be worth a try :D .There is a picture of a guy useing an umberella too.

What the hell......its all good fun :D

Catch you later mate.

YY:)

Starvin,

Forgot to metion, the guy is an exe coast guard.

He was impressed with the safety gear, and how safety concious we are in the sport.

I think thats a plus point.....dont you??

Im trying to get hold of our local Fishing club,

going to offer a interest evening.

Take the Yak and gear along and set it up, give a talk on the sport.

Need to put that on my must do list :D:D:D

Cheers.

YY :)

Yakity - Yak:

... A bit over the top for a Yak though :D ...

I don't agree. The boat is for fun. If a camera adds to the fun and doesn't clutter things up too much (which it shouldn't) then why not?

BTW - If I get in one while it's in the water, am I likely to sink it? How much weight can they safely carry? I'm at around 280 lbs right now. Doctor tells me I would be at the ideal weight for my height if I were 7'9" so I'm now trying to grow a couple of feet.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

:D:D:D ....Hi there Newt.

Some of the Yaks can carry up to 600lb.

You will be supprised, at what they will carry.

There are some big men useing Yaks, very successfully, and haveing loads of fun.

So no excuse Newt:p :P:D

Salar will enjoy your company out there;)

Dont forget the pictures you guys.

Cheers for now.

Hi Jaffa,

Yes I did seal the bottoms mate.

I used the lids off of Tesco Value Shaveing foam,

Perfect fit made for the job :D , and at 40p a can, cheap to do.

I sealed, and stuck them, by squirting Silicone around the inside of the lid, and then twisting it onto the flushmount.

In the bottom of the cup I put a nice blob to cushion the bottom of the rod and to protect the bottom of the cup.

Touch wood all OK so far.

Place the rods back in Flushmounts carfully,rather than drop them in :)

Weather good here today, getting out tonight for a while, will let you know how it goes.

Hows the welding going, have you fixed it yet?

Catch you later Chris.

Jaffa,

Have tried desperately to get hold of Marine Goop in the UK, there is a distributor in Ireland, but they are only interested in selling the stuff by the shed load. They told me to try a shop in Dusseldorf!

Have done some tests of my own and Aquasure works well in the yak, but sets with a lot of bubbles, so no good for transducers, but you can use it straight from the tube, Devcon 30 minute epoxy is excellent and if mixed correctly has no bubbles, the 5 minute version was no where near as good. These are the best of about 12 types tested on my Ocean Kayak.

For sealing, I have been using Loctite Clear Sealant, (591 I think), seems to work well, this also gave the best bond of all the sealants that I tested, would only use it for sealing though as its bonding strength is minimal.

Do this all in a ventilated room, my wife was not happy about me doing my testing in the lounge!

Hope this helps in some way.

Starvinmarvin

http://www.anglersafloat.co.uk

Kayaks: Ocean Kayak Caper (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Scupper Pro

Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 XL (Sunrise)

Ocean Kayak Trident 15

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140 Angler (Yellow)

Malibu Mini-X

A member of B.A.S.S www.ukbass.com

Starvinmarvin.

I have given a lot of thought like you to adhesives and bonding agents to use on the Yaks.

The more thought I gave to it, I came to the conclusion that most of what we fix to our Yaks is under very little stress,the Flushmounts realy only need to be sealed. I used size 8 self tapping stainless steel screws to fit mine to the Scrambler XT srewing them into a very small pilot hole.

The screws pull the mounts to the Yak s surface nice and tight, I went around and around the screws to pull down the mounts equaly, and let the silicone ooze out of the sides.

At the base of the mount tube I siliconed the caps on, after the silicone had dried I tried to pull them off, NO CHANCE.

I also tested them for holding water, was OK.

Bye the way, when screwing anything to the Yak, I always use a hand screwdriver, the power tools can send the screws in far to quick and not allow the screw to cut a thread.

Well thats my thoughts on it all :D:D

For what its worth.

Cheers.

Yakity :)