Trotting

The Flying Tench

Guest tigger
I might chuck handfuls in during the summer, but only trickle a few in during cold conditions - I have found it all too easy to overdo the loose feed in the winter, and the bites dry up if you overfeed. A steady trickle of one or two maggots IMHO is better than handfuls at a time.

I'm talking about roach, dace and chub in small rivers - what sort of winter fishing do you find "various sized handfuls" good for ? Perhaps we are talking about two different things.

Love the image of a cleric counting his maggots though :lol:

When I say handfulls I mean 20 or so and that's fishing for anything that's willing to take my bait in the local small river. In the local small river there are roach, dace, chub present amongst other species but strangly in winter months all you seem to get is chub.

I tried the bread as you said using a few swan shot attached by a mono link the other day Dave but it was the coldest day of the year so I did expect to blank.....wich I did :rolleyes: ....should have took the dogs out instead. As you said the bread stayed on ok and was better for flikin out after saoking for a few seconds. I'll try it again when things warm up a few degrees.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've eitheir got great circulation or a high pain threshold - as - providing the rest of me is really toasty I never seem to suffer with cold hands when trotting. I've experimented with all sorts of fingerless/part fingerless/neoprene etc etc ad infinitum... and never found anything that gave me the freedom and kept me noticeably warmer than no gloves! I've been out a couple of times during this cold snap - and can honestly say I've not suffered cold hands - though I do set great store in keeping the rest of me REALLY warm as I'm convinced this helps.....

C.

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

Not I problem I normally have but I would have thought that something similar to the Musky Armour gloves Ive got might do the job ie keep fingers a bit warmer but not reduce sensitivity to much.

I also recieved a pair of camo gloves to try recently .Havnt done any trotting with them yet but will do and let you know as they are quite cheap.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think I've eitheir got great circulation or a high pain threshold

Ahh, but just 'ee wait another 25 years me old matey.

Up until my early seventies I could say the same! but the old fingers now get chilled after a couple of hours or so - just have to fish shorter sessions when its really cold.

...and what REALLY chills the fingers is taking fish off the hook - so the best way to keep warm is not to catch.... <_<<_<

Tigger, glad to hear you have got the bread staying on the hook - now all we need is a temp rise and some fish to try to pull it off.

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Damart do a fingerless thermal glove and they are great. They are tight fitting and I find that because the main part of my hand is warm my finger tips stay warm as well. If you have a really cold northerly blowing it might get the better of you though :unsure:

They do have some shops but they do mail order.

lyn

One life, live it, love it, fish it!

I would agree with wearing no gloves, and concentrating on keeping 1 hand warm at a time, with the use of a deep pocket on a big coat.

when trotting i hold the rod in my right hand, and this, on the coldest of days can get very cold especially when touching an icy centrepin!

I keep my left hand in my pocket for as long as possible, only taking it out for a couple of seconds to chuck in a few maggots from my bait apron. I try to minimise my right hand's contact with the centrepin to 1 finger which does keep things a bit warmer.

When i move swims i carry my rod/net in my now warm left hand and warm up my right hand in my pocket. To increase the walk time i only fish every other swim on the stretch which gives my trotting hand longer to warm up, then on the return journey to the car i fish the other swims (this walk also helps warm my toes).

I find all gloves impractical when trotting. i have tried neoprene fingerless and tried making my own fingerless and i have found that any exposed skin soon spreads the coldness to my other fingers.

Can't get away with gloves at all when fishing, I just have to put up with cold hands...

However, they're nothing compared to cold feet and siezed-up knees when wading in chesties while trotting for winter grayling!! Cor blimey, I must be mad!

Sleeping we image what awake we wish;

Dogs dream of bones, and fishermen of fish.