Anyone brave it today and how did you do?

JV44

Hi Budgie,

The chap that showed us how to "Ice fish" introduced them to us, he is Russian, and in russia they catch on blank jigs, we had maggot on ours or pinkies.

First we let them down to the the ground, and the reel won´t be touched again.

Then it´s a case of lifting and dropping quite slowly. or leaving the rod rested against a pile of ice, and the jig dangling about 5 cm over ground. To try another hole, you just pull up the line, and let it down, without reeling up the line, here you´ll see if the depth changes, or try and find any features that the fish are held up in.

Sadly we had no luck on Sunday, the last time we tried it (about 4 years ago) on the same lake, we caught a few Roach using the same tactics. If the cold weather keeps up, we´ll be giving it another bash this weekend.......

Cheers Jayson.The whole buisness of fishing through the ice has always facinated me.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny you should say that Budgie, I haven't actually fished any of the Mole yet apart from the mouth the other day. The rest of the Mole that I know of at Molesley I thought was all private (judging by the Private Fishing signs) although an angler I chatted to assured me it's all free fishing...odd as some of it is fenced off? So I'm a little confused, but would love to fish it.

An EA report online from 2006 (I think) sounded good species wise. Ditto the Ember and Ember Relief Channel, in fact I think these were rated higher. The angler I spoke to mentioned a 7lb tench from the Mole last year, and some nice chub and barbel from the Ember.

There is a dedicated forum section on the BFW site for both the Mole and Ember I think, I sometimes sneak in there for a look.

Geoff