ABBOTSBURY - At Its VERY Best!!!!!!

MainBassMan

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a preety good week with the early morning tides last week, managed three bass all around the 3 to 4lb mark, all were taken on rag and sandeel cocktail flappers.

What was suprising was how close in they were to the tide line.

One of the strange things is that the mackrel have all but dissapeared around bexington.

My Theory

There has abeen a scallop trawler working the area, could it be a pied piper effect, the mackerel are following the trawl picking up freebies from the drege?

Be back down again next week for another session or two.

Oh before I go another suprise last week was a bloke who caught two large mullet around the 4lb mark whilst fishing for bass, using a full fillet of mackerel and size six pennel rigs to 25lb snoods, and I thought mullet were finiky buggers! Hmm!!

See ya soon PhilC

[ 16. September 2005, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: PhilC ]

Ask a question and be a fool for 5 minutes! Never ask a question and be a fool for life! .

A blind person who sees is better than a seeing person who is blind.

mullet are like that down the chesil when the water is coloured, i caught 2 unexpectedly while bottom fishing with slabs of mackerell, first i knew about it was when the rod stand went charging off toward the sea

I have a theory on Mullet which apparantly take my large saltwater fly patterns. I believe that they are merrily swimming along, mouths open, filtering small food items when they swim into my hook length, at which point I strike at the take and apparently catch small Mullet on a 3", size 2 fly.

Perhaps a similar thing is happening with these big baits, or maybe they are 'slurping' on the mackerel flesh and hook themseslves?

ziggy searchfield:

mullet are like that down the chesil when the water is coloured, i caught 2 unexpectedly while bottom fishing with slabs of mackerell, first i knew about it was when the rod stand went charging off toward the sea

Ziggy they wernt by chance of charmouth the other night, like one on friday and one sunday the other week?

Ask a question and be a fool for 5 minutes! Never ask a question and be a fool for life! .

no philc, last time we fished charmouth ( few weeks back ) we blanked, but still stopped a few grockles digging the cliff out for fossils.

the mullet were at seatown & bexington. did you have luck at charmouth then ?

looking forward to the 30th sept at seatown as usual :):):)

Hi ziggy

not that night but have had quite a few bass off there this year.

If you remember me from last year I am a market trader from bristol so get to fish three to four times a week whilst down there working,

Unfortunatley once again the season is at an end so i have two more weeks to make the best of it.

Look for the LDV yellow van and say hi if you see it.

Regards Phil