Shorter float rods? 10ft max

Phil Adams

Hi all, Im trying to find a shorter general purpose fishing rod for the son of a family friend.

Hes not a small lad, but would cope better with a rod that is a maximum length of 10ft.

Does anyone here know of a decent quality rod that fits the bill? anywhere online?

Its 2 weeks till his birthday but Id like to be able to help sooner rather than later.

Many thanks :)

All the rods in that sort of class that my grandson used when small I built my self.Minature Match rods if you like.

Try a local rod builder.They dont have to be expensive as like my lads they can be made up from old sections from broken rods.I made one using the top two sections of a match rod with a broken butt section.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

my mrs uses a mitchell stallion leger (9ft) for floatfishing ,very light and its red :rolleyes: she finds it easier to cast with but ignores the fact the shorter it is the less lines picked up

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

I bought my son a 10' Shakespere Mentor, it serves as a good float and ledger rod and was cheap, if I remember correctly about £25 - £30.00

Quality wise it is excellent for the money. Not to heavy, great action . just wish I had had one when I was starting out.

Andrew Boyd

Thanks for the suggestions, Im going to have a good look around today and see what I can find.

I like the idea of making one from an old match rod, I hadnt thought of that. Although I gave my unused rods to a charity before christmas lol.

Cheers for the idea's chaps.

Red Wolf do a 10' cracker, I bought 3 for my Grand kids. £9.99 each, amazing rods.

By the way, if you can, or want to make your own, have a look at the blanks for a 4 to 5 weight fly rod. I use such a fly rod for a boat rod for roach, delightful.

[ 23. January 2005, 11:13 AM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]