CS3

Westie

I just started having a proper play with CS3 this last weekend, trying to get to grips with layers etc. I'm very keen to try and work out how to break photos down into elements, to PP on them individually and merge them all together e.g. landscape - work the sky/foreground separately and layer them up to make one perfect picture. Not a clue how to do that in all reality, so more hunting on the web for tutorials, I guess. I've not had a chance to go through the free tutorials on Adobe's website and with web tutorials, it's sometimes hit and miss for me to find one which shows exactly what I'm after.

I also want to learn how to do selective sharpening e.g. just the eyes in a portrait, or to convert to B&W and retain colour in the eyes etc.

I guess I need a good book and I prefer to be able to read and experiment on a picture at the same time. Can anyone recommend a good, practical and detailed book which explains this stuff.

I have one for CS2 written by Scott Kelby, which is a start, but I think I need something which goes into a bit more detail, so I understand how the various functions work. His style is - do this, do that and hey presto, you're done. I need to get to grips with CS3 in a practical way, so is there a must have "bible"?

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

One name I have repeatedly seen crop up as a Photoshop guru and teacher is "Ben Wilmore", in the states his writings are used on Photoshop courses. I dont know how good his writings are or if it covers what you need. I dont read books..not even e-books anymore preferring to look at online tutorials always gives me what I need. I fully recommend this avenue for everyone.

JK is correct in that you will need to get to grips with layer masks, also you should look at different selection techniques (which will cover "selective sharpness" and "selective colour") selection techniques will help with your layer masks also. The "pen tool" can help with small fiddly selections whilst the "quick selection tool" will help with things like skies etc. An understanding of the history pallette will also help you and in particular how to take "snapshots" in there.

So layers masks, selection techniques and all round experience with the Layers palette and a little info about the history pallette should be researched via google, do a good few tuts on each, even if they are not quite what you wanted they will give you a better understanding of how these things work, so you can learn and benefit that way.

Good luck!

Steve...:)

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

also you should look at different selection techniques (which will cover "selective sharpness" and "selective colour") selection techniques will help with your layer masks also. The "pen tool" can help with small fiddly selections whilst the "quick selection tool" will help with things like skies etc. An understanding of the history pallette will also help you and in particular how to take "snapshots" in there.

Steve, when using the selection option whats your method & reason ? I personally cant see the benefit of selecting just the sky for example to work on when a layer mask will do the same job ? Might be missing out on something which is why I ask.

My method is to copy the layer, apply layer mask to copied layer, make the changes.

2PhJuly2013sig_zps25c667b8.jpg

Personally I dont use layer masks on my photos, nor do I select certain parts for selective sharpening, occasionally I will make an edit for selective colour. But I do know how to use most of these techniqiues and use them at time for companies that I do things for. Selections for example can be better uitlised in selecting hair for example, which can be quite tricky in a straight cut layer mask, for example one could use "Select/Colour range" to select hair rather than painting on a mask. Use select colour range, then save to an alpha channel, now apply a a layer mask, load your alpha channel and your part way finished, saving you time. Another option would be to make a selection at channel level for example.

As always wih Photoshop, there are many ways to achieve the same end result, choosing the less time consuming approach is often the most favourable, but one has to be aware of the options beforehand, and I firmly believe that by becomeing familiar with selections and selection techniques is a good foundation for most Photoshop work. To me its like going fishing and knowing how to tie a blood knot.

Edited by Steve Randles

There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. - Ansel Adams

Focal Planet

OK. Now I'm scared. Alpha channels?

I need that book. LOL.

Westie.

If you're being chased by a police dog, try not to go through a tunnel, then on to a little seesaw, then jump through a hoop of fire. They're trained for that.

Visit My Photo Gallery

OK. Now I'm scared. Alpha channels?

And me also!!!!! Two more installments of my diary to go and then I can look at other stuff,like this and RAW :unsure:

Expect lots of questions team :rolleyes:

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

In photoshops layer palette area, there is a tab called "Channels", click on channels when you have a photo open and you will see what appear to be four layers named "RGB, Red, Green and Blue" this is essentially the colour seperation of the photograph you have open. An alpha channel saves a selection you made in Photoshop here...as a new channel. Now you can contine what you where doing or edit some other part of the Photo then when you want to you can reload that selection you made earlier, rather than making the selection all over again.

For example. You have a photo of a car and you want to select just the car and not the background. You make your selection save as an alpha channel. Now you have to go out so you save the whole document close down your pc and go out. Next time you open the document in Photoshop....you still have that selection so do not have to play around selecting it again. Some selections can take a few seconds to do, some can take half an hour or more so you can see why being able to save your selections can be important.

But stick to basics first, google for tutorials on what you want to achieve and go through them parrot fashion and you'll soon pick it up. I've been using Photoshop for years, I'm very well versed in it and I still learn everyday...and only know a small part of it retrospectively, even though I have been called by some an advanced user, I still say I'm a begginer/intermediate.

Focal Planet