Centrepins

Elton

Okay, just got myself one of these (the wooden finish one).

Is there anything I need to do with it before I use it? i.e. lube it?

Can't wait for June now :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

GT85 lubricant (contains Teflon / PTFE - wording on the cans vary)

Apart from that choose your line carefully and practice practice practice casting, then have fun.

paul

[ 18. March 2004, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: paul whiteing ]

We'll make an angler out of you yet!! :D As for maintenance - I give mine a squirt of teflon spray (such as GT85) after every 2 or 3 uses plus a spot of sewing machine oil.

Chris

"Study to be quiet." ><((º> My Blog

To go off tack slightly - does anyone know who would do a refurbishment on an Allcocks Match Aerial and roughly how much it would cost?

Paul

Looks a nice reel at a good price!

I love my centrepin ( Actually have two - arnold kingpin and a Leeds ) I know some people say that a fixed spool in good hands is fine for trotting - but for my money the 'pin cannot be beaten, and the more you use it the more natural it all becomes. The main problem with mine has been me putting too much line on them and hence causing the dreaded "bedding" of the line. Also using sweetcorn for the grayling causes sticky deposits which stop the line peeling off.

Paul_D:

To go off tack slightly - does anyone know who would do a refurbishment on an Allcocks Match Aerial and roughly how much it would cost?

Try the mill tackle link I posted earlier in this thread, their website quotes from £20 for a service on an aerial

Mat

[ 18. March 2004, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Mat Hillman ]

Mat

Thanks for that Mat. Looks very reasonable.

Paul

Assuming they are the lewtham Leeds reels,

To clean, unscrew the big screw in the centre of the backplate, this will allow the spool to come away from the spindle.

In the centre of the spindle the bearings are held in place by a couple of circlips, carefully remove these, and then the spindle should easily pull out.

There are two ball races, probably best to give both a clean in a solvent - lighter fuel, white spirit etc. Then you need to add a small drop of lubricant to each ball race - highly recomend the magic potion from Mill tackle, before re-assembling.

Take care when adding the oil not to overdo it, less really is more in this case.

the rest of the reel can be cleaned with a damp cloth, if it has a ratchet add another small drop of oil to the moving parts there too.

Mat

Mat