What a waste

JackPike

A 38lb pike was killed by the manangment of a South Cambs trout lake what are your views I think it was a needless waste of a speciman fish and was totally out of order

He who simply trys, Is not trying hard enuff

I watched an angler that was lucky enough to catch a roach (1lb 8oz ish) on the fly, but when I walked over to have a chat he bashed it over the head with his priest?! He said, "It would die if I put it back anyway."

I wasn't so sure!!!!!!

Can fly anglers get carried away with killing trout all the time?

i suppose but then you end up with a freezer full of fish you dont need, i usually only kill fish if my family or friend is looking for one for there pot,but you do see people going home with bags full fish curry for a fortnight

Ed Matysiak:

I watched an angler that was lucky enough to catch a roach (1lb 8oz ish) on the fly, but when I walked over to have a chat he bashed it over the head with his priest?! He said, "It would die if I put it back anyway."

I wasn't so sure!!!!!!

Can fly anglers get carried away with killing trout all the time?

I spent many years stillwater trout fishing, and all these comments do not surprise me.

Opponents of catch and release - " If I put it back it will die anyway" based on the "fact" that trout only have one good fight in them! :confused:

The paranoid view regarding pike, the final straw came when I watched a fellow "angler" unintentionally catch a pike only to stamp his boot on its head, and throw it up the bank.

Have to say though that I think things are starting to change, catch and release is widely practiced and the trout reservoir pike scene is starting to break down the barriers ( IMO ). Interesting progranmme on discovery the other day ( Fishing on the edge with Henry, I think )- usually sea fishing but this time fly fishing for pike at Chew. Although the handling left a little to be desired, mats, etc. it did illustrate that fly anglers were appreciating the pike as a sportfish, rather than a crazed fish eating machine that will eat every trout in the lake.

There was a High 30 pike caught on a Scottish loch by a "I'll try this fishing lark because I am on holiday" chap. Killed it because he did not know what to do with it and it had teeth :mad:

• 2 weeks later...

On the same "thread" I live near the Forth and Clyde canal, there has been a fairly large pike being caught here for the last few years,It's last but one capture put it at about 24lbs, then on it's last capture by a wee lad of about 12 years old, it was chapped on the head and taken home for the wee guy to show his mum, he also got one of 12lbs. Chapped it too. :(

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

• 1 month later...

Seen Salmon 'angler's stick em on a fence - like its a warning to other pike! (don't see many walking on the bank). one mans pest is anothers quary and we should let it be, Take a jack or two for the pot but no killing for killings sake (see Zander stuff on this site). We have enough probs comming from the anti's soon without so called 'anglers' and 'management' resorting to outdated practices. :mad:

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.