The quality of bought flies!

JayP

Ok, so being fairly new to fly fishing and not being enough hours in the day I have been buying my flies online IE Selectafly, Fulling Mills, Timeflies etc rather than tying my own. On Saturday I went in to the local Orvis shop and I have to say the quality of flies was amazing compared to what I’ve been buying on the net, however they were between 40 and 80 pence more expensive per fly. So my question is will I catch more with the Orvis flies rather than tho net bought ones I’ve been using?

Regards to you all.

JayP

Probably not, but they are aesthetically more pleasing.

[ 04. April 2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Probably not, although that shouldnt stop you buying them and enjoying using them and having them in your collection. Not sure where Orvis source their flies from, but they obviously specify a higher quality than the average. When you think how much you pay for them and how long they must have taken to tie, then in real terms they are a bargain. Most 'internet flies' are made for a pittance in third world countries, Kenya and India being probably the two biggest exporters and quality can vary tremendously. Its nice to see an accurately tied dry fly and I'm sure in clearwater streams, accuracy can make a difference. But if you're looking for flies to throw at cereal fed stockies, I doubt if the odd tatty fly will make a difference. I would be more concerned about the quality of the hook. Thats probably where Orvis score with their flies.

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

quote:

Not sure where Orvis source their flies from
I know that Colne, Lancs based Stuart Bowdin ties to order for the Harrogate shop. If you look at the F.F.& F.T. magazine competition table this month you'll notice he's pretty near the top.

Paul

I dont send off for flies any more, found that too often they were very heavily dressed. So much so that the hook could hardly bite. Also you tend to get bigger sizes and a few weirdos you would never use when you buy a job-lot.

Some shops where the proprietor is interested in fishing can supply really nice flies. In my opinion they are worth a bit extra.

A bad days fishing is better than a good day at the office. Tight lines all.

Have just ordered and received various flies from,www.selectafly.com.

I must say i am satisfied with what i got and quick delivery and very reasonably priced :D

Not being an expert or regular fly angler,some may say that the quality is not that good,butmy mate has ordered from them and will do so again.

Jay, I am trying to get into fly fishing and have no idea about what is good and what is not with regards to flies.

A few months ago I saw PaulSeph1@aol.com selling some flies on Anglers Net so took the plunge and ordered some.

Now my Sister and her hubby are very good fly fishers (International) so I sent them some of the flies and they will not use them as they are works of art (especially the woven ones).

I found the cost was very reasonable as well.

As I say, I know nothing but it could be worth emailing Paul for more information.

Alan

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/

There are one or two of us who attept to tie the odd fly, im sure Ispeak for more than just myself when I say Ill try hard to sort out some flies to get folk started. I,m now fishing quite a bit so it might take a wee while to reply but if any one wants some ideas pm me adn Ill do my best to help.