What would you have done?

Rusty

Had a jolly good day out today on the Lambourn with JV44. He caught his first Grayling and I'm sure you'll be reading about it once he's crafted the epic battle in Word.

I 'caught' my first Pike, a stupid fish which hung on to lunch despite the presence of a landing net.

IMG_3137.jpg

The Grayling looked pretty badly beaten up but seemed none the worse for wear when I put it back. Should I have released it in that condition do you think? I don't carry any fish medication (will do in future) but would that have made a difference?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the water quality is good then the grayling should recover from minor wounds like that. If it does go belly up there's no doubt some hungry eyes will spot it and make good use of it.

Edited by tigger

Great shot Rusty well done so you lost your Pike virginty on the same strech i got my first Grayling :clap2: ,the Pike were very active and my first Grayling nearly wasn`t as a jack tried twice to nick it before i landed it then just like waiting for a bus i had another couple of smaller ones and bumped a couple off [this takes practice but if anyone needs help in mastering the bump them off method then i am happy to help :D ],then at the end of a long trot i hooked what felt like a decnt fish only to see the bow wave of another jack which grabed it taking it and most of my line :wallbash: ,there must have been a weak bit or knot in the line as it parted close to the rod tip and with no more line on me i rang Rusty who sprang to the rescue with a large spool of Diawa sensor which got me fishing again :clap2: very gratefull face.

Bumped into a couple of other anglers net guys at the venue but i cant remeber there names senile moment face,but they said that they had had a few as well and seemed very decent chaps.

Had a trout from the bit by the Swan pub earlier so went home well happy and also caught the first minnow for over 20 years as you dont get them on my bit of the kennet,Rusty you are a gentleman Sir and saved my afternoon thanks.

002-6.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-6.jpg

steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Fish can be remarkably resilient from injuries of that nature and with the water temps. as low as they are, the chances of secondary infection must be lower than it would in Summer you'd think?

I'd have put it back. I'm not sure.

......Regards......Anders...... :huh:

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

If it was over the size limit, and the fishery allowed, then I would have knocked it on the head and taken it home to eat.

If too small, then I would do the same as you and put it back.

I watched a chub escape the clutches of a pike, with a large piece of it's back missing. It just rejoined the shoal and continued taking loose feed within a few minutes.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

I have caught plenty of grayling with wounds(probably from all the gooseander I have seen)but they still have an healthy enough appetite to take my bait.I have also caught plenty of em with scars,if you get them to swim off alright when you put them back,you can't be expected to do any more than that.By the way nice pink bag,looks well on the trout :D

Edited by dapper64

Well done to both of you! Sounds like a great day out.

I'd have put the fish back - if it survives, great, if it doesn't, a predator will be grateful of the meal. Another option is to knock it on the head and keep it as pike deadbait.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I have caught plenty of grayling with wounds(probably from all the gooseander I have seen)but they still have an healthy enough appetite to take my bait.I have also caught plenty of em with scars,if you get them to swim off alright when you put them back,you can't be expected to do any more than that.By the way nice pink bag,looks well on the trout :D

That is my lucky Pike deadbait bag and i took it along because [1] to put my maggot box in [2] it really stinks so puts other anglers off fishing close to me :D;);) [3] its colour co ordinated with the Trout ;) .

Rusty you did the right thing and its up to nature now ,Have put fish back far worse than that and caught them again later the same day on the Thames so it should be fine ,This small stream stuff is a bit addictive so here's hoping the Thames stays flooded next weekend steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Livebaiting with grayling, Rusty? I double dare you to start a thread on that subject :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE