Big Chuckin'

Wordbender

poledark:

*I must admit to being surprised that no one has offered the advice to up the strength of the leader, you are entering a new ball game when you start to get out to 160+ and you should be using AT LEAST 40lb Leader.*

But each time, the line snapped BEHIND the leader - which is more than the advised '5 turns' on the spool, by quite a margin. :confused:

* One other word, Reels do NOT put twist in your line, it is the way that fixed spools work that puts 1 twist in for every turn of line on and off the spool. No design of roller will remove this twist unless it creates a stroking action similar to running the line thro your fingers.

Den

OK, so how do we explain how two of my reels 'impart' line-twist, while the other does not? And, if it's 'the way fixed spool reels work' - then it's the reels that are doing it, surely?

Thanks for the input, though.

Terry

[ 01. December 2002, 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Wordbender ]

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hello terry!

i get twist with braid, especially whilst winching. you need a glove or finger stall cos it will slice to the bone on the big casts!

178 yards, 1 yard, if they are there, you can catch them.....

fish safe!

**sam**

Wordbender, I am not going to argue with you about but it is a simple fact that for each turn of line that goes on or off a fixed spool reel one twist is put in or taken out.

If you then add to that each time the line is drawn off via the clutch or baitrunner then you get more twist. That I am afraid is a scientific fact.

If you want to check it then tie the end of your line to a post and wind with the clutch slipping.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

poledark - that's what you get for fishing with those nasty fixed spool things. A proper multiplier doesn't do line twist unless the rig or lure spins round and round and round. :D

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

poledark:

Wordbender, I am not going to argue with you about but it is a simple fact that for each turn of line that goes on or off a fixed spool reel one twist is put in or taken out.

No arguments from me, Den - I just wonder why the mainline on one of my rods is perfectly manageable, while the line on the other two does a superb imitation of Bob Marley's barnet at the drop of a bale-arm.

Mind you, I like the sound of this 'taken out' bit!

Terry

Wordbender, hopefully, in an ideal world, theoretically, (and any other phrase that comes to mind :D ), it is possible to start off with a spool of line with no twist in it, wind it on to your reel which puts 1 twist per turn of the rotor, and then when you cast out the twist is removed,

I have used many different makes of reel over the years but am certain that it is the line that is the main problem, stiff lines show up twist more readily, limp lines (braid?) show less effect. The use of the clutch adds to the twist, so if you tend to backwind then that may be why you do not suffer so much with certain reels.

Some reel makers claim to have "twistbeating" technology but what is happening is that the rollers are so efficient that the "stroking" effect is reduced, this allows the twist to be carried safely on to the spool and not build up in front of the roller.

Of course you don't get any of these problems with a Pole

178yds, good big chuck, even by todays standards, still got to be one of the best feelings ever, when that lead goes on and on, mind you don't get obsessed with it, I nearly lost my wife due to spending so much time practising and teaching others how to cast.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

poledark:

Wordbender, hopefully, in an ideal world, theoretically, (and any other phrase that comes to mind :D

*...all things being equal, basically, when push comes to shove, at the end of the day....

Thanks for your replies, too. :)

Terry

Hi wordbender,

just out of interest what type of

competition shooting did you take

part in.

I use!t to be a member of our regimental

shooting team used to travel the country

shooting finishing at the Army international

shoot at Bisley every year.

I must admit I enjoyed it very much and,

miss it like hell now. :(:(:D

david

david platt:

Hi wordbender,

just out of interest what type of

competition shooting did you take

part in.

It was mainly Field Target shooting, mate - using highly modified air rifles and hi-tech scopes.

It took me all over the place and I did OK at it, but things became a bit intense and I didn't like who I was becoming, so I packed it in. I still shoot, and I'm a trustee/founder of a club at Bisley, but I don't 'need' to compete, these days. :rolleyes:

Terry