A nice problem to have

Rusty

Recently I’ve been fortunate enough to receive £100 worth of gift vouchers for my local tackle shop. My thoughts immediately turned to a new rod, I’ve got the Drennan 14’ DRX float rod and the Series 7 Avon/Quiver and I’m very impressed with them, they cover most of my needs for general coarse fishing.

Do you think a feeder rod would offer any advantages over the Avon that I have? I’ve had a look at a few and I have to say none seemed to cater for situations where my Avon rod wouldn’t cope.

Might have to consider the somewhat less exciting clothing range instead.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

It's the other way round for me. My local rivers are wide and tidal so Avon style rods are advantageous over feeder rods as they have a bit more backbone than all but extremely heavy feeder rods which are bespoke only.

I recently bought an all-in-one thermal suit which has proven to be a brilliant investment. Fished throughout the winter, warm as toast. Clothing is not as exciting as tackle, but it could be just as important!

Save 'em until something special catches your eye. My local tackle shop informed me they won't be getting any new stock in until Easter, by which time the big manufacturers will have launched their 2009 range. Might mean 2008 ranges are discounted?

The only worry I'd have about saving them is that, in the current climate, they'll be worth nothing if the company goes pop.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Recently I’ve been fortunate enough to receive £100 worth of gift vouchers for my local tackle shop. My thoughts immediately turned to a new rod, I’ve got the Drennan 14’ DRX float rod and the Series 7 Avon/Quiver and I’m very impressed with them, they cover most of my needs for general coarse fishing.

Do you think a feeder rod would offer any advantages over the Avon that I have? I’ve had a look at a few and I have to say none seemed to cater for situations where my Avon rod wouldn’t cope.

Might have to consider the somewhat less exciting clothing range instead.

What kind of fishing would the feeder rod be for that the Avon/quiver wouldn't be suitable?

Unless there's a good reason (and there may well be!) I'd spend it on something else. Those series 7s are so versatile.

Clothing is a bit boring compared to rods, but it may be the more sensible choice. I recently splurged a massive(!) £28 on a discounted all-in-one water/windproof suit. It'll have its first outing at the weekend. (The trouble is, the cat has found it under the bed and loves it - she won't sleep anywhere else now :rolleyes: )

Spring is coming though, so it might not be a great idea to quickly buy loads of winter gear...

It's amazing how much the 'closed season stock-up' costs - all those little bits like hooks and shot - that might be a good use for it!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

It's amazing how much the 'closed season stock-up' costs - all those little bits like hooks and shot - that might be a good use for it!

That was going to be my suggestion, if you're sorted for your main tackle, getting your boxes full of all the bits and pieces you need through the year would be a pretty good thing to do.

What kind of fishing would the feeder rod be for that the Avon/quiver wouldn't be suitable?

Unless there's a good reason (and there may well be!) I'd spend it on something else. Those series 7s are so versatile.

Yes that's the problem, I was hoping that someone would tell me that feeder rods are designed for a very specific purpose and nothing else will do the job, but I didn't really think that was the case. I've recently moved job and the vouchers were a leaving pressie from my colleagues so I'm keen to get something a bit 'gifty'.

I'll continue browsing the shop's website.

Hope the weekend goes well.

Edited by Rusty

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

If you want something gifty have you considered giving them away :P

Seriously though my thoughts would be something you'd like which you wouldn't ordinarily look to buy for example:

A really good chair

A good holdall or rucksack

A set of BREATHABLE waterproof clothing

A good quality set of scales

A nice new reel

I guess it depends on what sort of fishing you do...

Rich

Last year i found myself in the same position as you i had £100 pound in vouchers as a pressie , after a couple of months of thinking im gonna have to spend these soon but i dont really need anything i took the plunge & off i set . After walking round the shop for 40 minutes randomly browsing & casually picking up bits of whatever & putting them on the counter i thought best check what ive spent & how much ive got left. When i added up all these bits off terminal tackle ,bait , dips, groundbait totalling £50 ( That i dont really need :lol: ) that i thought maybe i should get something that will last , that maybe i could show show someone in future ?, yes so & so bought me this when i left, that i started looking for other bits of proper fishing tackle that i dont really need :lol:

At first i thought maybe a reel ive only got 12 or perhaps a rod i think ive only got about 12 maybe 13 of them now . I started looking at the ones that were set up with reels on & most were being offeredin combo deals, first 1 i picked up was a ( camo ) carp rod & a Bob Church reel the rrp on these items combined was about £100 the shop had them on offer for £75 now i knew the dealer & he came over & told me i could have the pair for £60 cash as i quite liked them i told him its a good offer but ive only got £50 he pondered a minute & said ok & off he popped to get box, bag etc . I still cant get the look out of my head he gave me when i told him the £50 of stuff on the counter was mine as well ( his wife was dealing with me earlier ) & then i gave him £100 in vouchers for the stuff, best poker move i ever made . Eventually, the point im trying to make is ive used the said rod & reel twice for Carping & had fish to mid doubles & twice for Piking & Landed a wild fightin fit 19lber with ease & pleasure :rolleyes:

Still got all that bait but it wont last, my advice is grab a rod or something that lasts you might love it :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The more i practice the luckier i get :)