Your 1st Double Figure!

Jamie Thornton

Never weighed the first couple because I've never really been into the numbers game. They were both mid-doubles caught on floaters from Sutton Bank Canal near Newport in Shropshire. First one I weighed was 17lb 6oz caught on hair-rigged double strawberry mini-boilie from the Oak Tree stretch of the Shropshire Union Canal at Soudley. It was hard fishing to start with because if you didn't cast right up against the brambles you didn't catch much. I then hit on the idea of using my pole and a pole pot to ship the bait out and place it right under the brambles rather than trying to cast close (this was the days before people deliberately tried to land big carp on heavy elastics). It did the trick and I caught a few carp although the first one at 17lb 6oz was the best. Some near 30's came out over the next season or so but they were eventually removed because they were busting up too many pole anglers during matches. At that time though The Oak Tree was a real aquarium with tench over 8lb, 3lb+ perch 7lb bream, 2lb roach and even the odd big crucian. One of the regular carp anglers even told me he'd had a double figure barbel! I haven't fished there since 1991 so no idea what it's like now though - match reports show winning weights of chub which certainly weren't there when I used to fish it.

[ 11. September 2002, 06:31 PM: Message edited by: davidP ]

DISCLAIMER: All opinions herein are fictitious. Any similarities to real

opinions, living or dead, are entirely coincidental.

Alright Jamie! :)

Stick at it mate, you'll have that double-figure carp before long.

I can remember my first one - caught on Luncheon meat, and what a thrill it gave me!

I'm still waiting for my first '20' - but it does'nt really bother me that I have'nt managed to land one yet, though at times a little frustrated!

my first double was at horton kirby in the sixties ,i went from about 3oz`s to 18lbs in one jump ,most of the anglers came round to see this monster (we didnt know most of the time what the general size of fish in the lake were) i think at the time i had a mention in the news of the world (not very good umberella prize) fishing in those days was a bit hit or miss (nowadays catching the biggest known fish in a pond is more or less a weekly event) i know the 39lb cat in my local pond has had more pictures in the angling press than the editor :D

i remember catching a 5lb tench in the same lake which took as i was putting the rod down ,i could not fathom the reason the penny kept falling off

for a while (i may have got the umbrella for that i cant remember) but a five lb tench was a specimin then ,nowadays both fish would be nuscience fish stopping the angler getting to "blind bill" or "splitty" or whatever the pet name of the big boys are :D

both were taken on sausage meat ,the killer "in" bait at the time

i still haven broken the 30 barrier yet theve been close but i still have a few years yet :D

[ 11. September 2002, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Alright mate,

itll come dont worry!!

My first was an 11lb ghosty caught on a strawbwerry boily floating around a foot up at a lake called mill farm. still buzzing from that beuty best fighting fish ive ever had!!

Still waiting for my first 20, let me know how u do .

viva la fishing

treacle ni Slicks

Hi james.

Slayer with a reply...

I got carp fever nearly nine years ago.It took me nearly a year of catching small "pasties"before i caught my first double.

I was well chuffed,It went to 12lb 4.0z!I caught it on a starmer g.l.m.14mm boilie.

since then ive managed a few northern 20s.

Maybe one day i might catch a 30.

Tight lines...Slayer...

Big net big ambitions

Thanks Guys - Hopefully I'll get my first double figure at a place I am fishing on Wednesday with my Dad and Uncles. They're taking the dayoff work for this and I'm taking the day off college just to be at this lake you have to book in advance. There are big Cats in there too! The Carp go well over 20lb so Hopefully I will get something over 10 at least! The lakes that I ave fished at only have Carp to about 12-14lb so it has been hard for me to get one reaching 10 but now my day ticket water I am goin to holds them to 30 although there is some problems there so I cant fish there yet. For now though its the trip so I will let you guys know! Thanks again you lot!

I'm estimating the weight as I dont have any scales but my first double came today. I caught my PB at 7 lbs about 2 weeks ago and todays mirror was easily half as big again, some 6 to 8 inches larger than the 18 inch diameter of my landing net.

I'm hooked, no doubt about it. :D

I remember it well.

1984 Elvington lake just outside of york, there was a load of caravanners on the site & I ended up with a sizeable crowd behind me while I was playing the fish.

As I landed the Carp, a 14.03 mirror after a 35min fight, there was a great cheer & I got a round of applause so I took a bow!

Why did it take 35mins to land? because I had lost a couple of doubles in previous weeks, & when I'd seen the size of it my bottle went completely so I played it like it was on 1.5lb line & a size 20 hook instead of 15lb line & a size 6 hook!!!

Rubbishy angling, but the crowd liked it.

Oh yes & after the crowd disappeared, old Stan the owner came down & gave me a right going over for breaking his no wading rule.

No I can't see me forgetting my 1st double.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

rykko , seems its natures way of telling you to invest in a bigger net :D

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson