Spinning Rods...noddy tools or what?

This stems from another thread but I thought it could be worthy of discussion on it's own.

Why are spinning rods regarded as the tool for the noddy angler? I'm guilty of judging anglers from time to time, although that's more to do with the species said noddies are targeting at the time. Actual spinning aside, is it because they're not specific enough, too general, easy to use etc??

I can't imagine fishing without spinning rods. I've got rods and tackle for all manner of applications but spinning rods have probably helped me catch more species of fish than any other. If you don't have a specific rod for the job, you can just about get away with anything using a spinning rod, even if it does require a bit of imagination. As an example, you can even fly-fish with a spinning rod. It might not be pretty but bubble and fly can be more efficient than a fly-casting outfit. Does that make it wrong or any less ingenious just because it's not pretty??

You can wobble, touch leger, fly-fish, jig, spin, float-fish, trot, stalk, plug...and all manner of applications very successfully with a spinning rod. Surely that is some indication of what a versatile tool the spinning rod is. Give someone a spinning rod and they can probably have a bash at more species, on more venues, be they fresh or saltwater, from the boat or bank using a very small selection of tackle and a little ingenuity.

The spinning rod is such an embarrassment it seems that although it might be the perfect tool for a certain job, in order for it to be accepted a such, it has to have a make-over. Some jigging rods I've picked up are nothing more than spinning rods. Similar lengths, similar actions, similar casting weights. Take the label off and you'd have a hard time telling the difference.

The same could be said of some stalking rods. Clearly someone thought the basic principle was ideal for the job of stalking carp but would your average carper be seen dead using a spinning rod? No they wouldn't, so what do the manufacturers do? They double the price, fling a badge on it and call it a 'stalking rod'. You could take the very same rod, stick a pike on it, call it 'The Brutalizer' or something equally insane and sell it as a wobbling rod. It's purposes are almost identical. Short range, often enclosed, target fishing that encompasses comfort, balance, manoeuvrability, a forgiving tip and a backbone for those surging runs. The only difference would be the end-tackle and the species taking that end-tackle.

What is the problem with the lowly spinning rod?

Is it the tool of the noddy?...

...or is a brilliant tool, that has been largely left at the wayside, because anglers these days want a specific tool for every application?

What do you think??..... :huh:

Edited by Newt

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...or is a brilliant tool, that has been largely left at the wayside, because anglers these days want a specific tool for every application?

The latter definitely, my spinning rods get the most use and catch the most fish. I don't seem to have the patience any more for sitting behind a quiver rod, and I've always been a crap float angler, so if I want a few hours on the bank, the spinning tackle comes out, every time

I use them, in fact I have just got in after an hours spinning on the open day of the trout season because the weather is so wet and windy a fly rod would have been a complete waste of time.

I took two delightful little wild brownies on a size 0 mepps each fish about 12oz, fished with a 7' Allcock's Lightcaster and an Allcock's Delmatic (sounds like a model of vacuum cleaner) fixed spool.

Horses for courses!

lots of love, Noddy :thumbs:

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

Help me out here if you would guys. I guess we are simple minded but for all my life since spinning (fixed spool) reels became available

Spinning rod = rod that is designed to use a hang-off-the-bottom spinning reel with large rings to allow for the way line feeds off and rings lined up on the inside of the spine.

Casting rod = rod that is designed to use with a top mounted casting reel with small rings aligned along the outside of the spine.

Obviously from reading the initial posts I am missing some important information. I have figured out that I must be some sort of noddy though since I use spinning rods when they are the best tool for the job at hand.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Help me out here if you would guys. I guess we are simple minded but for all my life since spinning (fixed spool) reels became available

Spinning rod = rod that is designed to use a hang-off-the-bottom spinning reel with large rings to allow for the way line feeds off and rings lined up on the inside of the spine.

Casting rod = rod that is designed to use with a top mounted casting reel with small rings aligned along the outside of the spine.

Obviously from reading the initial posts I am missing some important information. I have figured out that I must be some sort of noddy though since I use spinning rods when they are the best tool for the job at hand.

You're not wrong Newt, it's just that we don't really differentiate between casting rods and spinning rods in the UK. The baitcaster reel (multiplier here) never really took off for light freshwater spinning as it did in the States. So everything gets lumped under 'spinning' (with a few recent variations) whether using a fized spool (threadline) reel or a multiplier.

Early rods with small rings were used for spinning using centrepin reels, now that's an art!

As for when you use what tackle, well, like you say, when you think it's the best tool for the job!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

hello guys :rolleyes: i am 25years man i come from lithuania in uk to wigan sorry for my bad english language :huh: but i very traying speak in english :mellow: so i am in wigan only 1 week but i very like fishing a specialy with spinning and my favorite fish is pike so i want to know more about wigan's canal and wigan's pikes and i will be happy if you help me to do it :rolleyes:

Sorry Andy, but I spat coffee all over my screen and fell off my chair when I read your post! It was a joke! :P

Like any rod, they have their applications. For lure fishing I actually find them completely unwieldy, so much so I haven't used one for some years. I much prefer a tool designed for the job. There is absolutely nothing wrong with anyone using a spinning rod for anything other than spinning, unless, to be honest, it's a 7-21g model and it's being used for dead-baiting for pike :wallbash::wallbash: I agree with everything else you've said.

Hi Tundra.

You will probably get more good answers if you start a new topic in this section with your question.

Your English is easy enough to understand which is the important thing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

hello guys :rolleyes: i am 25years man i come from lithuania in uk to wigan sorry for my bad english language :huh: but i very traying speak in english :mellow: so i am in wigan only 1 week but i very like fishing a specialy with spinning and my favorite fish is pike so i want to know more about wigan's canal and wigan's pikes and i will be happy if you help me to do it :rolleyes:

hello there can you make it to ashton in makerfield tomorrow evening?

if so there is a meeting of the local PAC region there (pike anglers club of great britain)

its at the caledonian pub on bolton road (next to the tesco garage if that helps)

and starts around 7.30-8 pm

it wil cost a couple of quid to get in though