Perch

SPSwallow

How big would you expect them to be in a small pond about 2 acre, it's full of carp, Bream and Tench. I'm thinking about having a crack for them, i've caught lots of tiddlers last summer while I was aiming for the Bream. I'm not sure how big they grow relative to the size of water though.

Thanks

I'm not a Perch expert but I think it's going to depend on the food supply for the Perch.

I fish a lake, similar in size to yours which has produced plenty of 2lb+ Perch for a good few years now (it's never produced a real biggie) but there is a huge head of stunted Rudd for the Perch to feed on. (other stock is mostly Carp with a very few Tench, small Bream and some Eels.

I'm not a Perch expert but I think it's going to depend on the food supply for the Perch.

I fish a lake, similar in size to yours which has produced plenty of 2lb+ Perch for a good few years now (it's never produced a real biggie) but there is a huge head of stunted Rudd for the Perch to feed on. (other stock is mostly Carp with a very few Tench, small Bream and some Eels.

Yep i used to fish a lake like this crammed with sunted Roach and Rudd and that did Perch to 4lb10oz and it was only 2 acres at the very most probubly smaller,Think the supply of fodder fish is more important than the size of the water Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

hiya, new member "Rev" replying if it helps, a water i am a member off, has a pool of around an acre and it has a good head of big stripeys, i would say a sz 6 filled with lobworm and freelined in the margins, or plopped just over the edge of a liily leaf, mind fingers tho as it do sting a touch when nosey mr carp has a go B)

sorry had to cut and dash, i was going to end my reply by saying i`ve often found smaller pools hold the biggest suprises for 2lb plus stripes especially if as yours there is a good amount of food, as i say sometimes the best way of finding out is catch em first !, "rev"

Ta for the advise. I have fished it during summer and there was plenty of small roach and perch. The pond is also quite shallow, I don't think it gets any deeper than 4 foot. Loads of weed and lily patches and it is never fished by the looks of it. There is a well managed carp fisheries just up the road from it so I think everyone goes there. THere is also a stream that runs adjacent and during the winter it flooded into the pond. I'd be happy to catch a perch of a 1LB to be honest

It's impossible to tell how big the perch grow without catching them. However, as has already been pointed out, the size of the water has no bearing on the size perch can grow to. It may of course restrict the numbers of specimen stripies though. What's important is the amount of food that's available per head of population, and also whether there's the right size of food available throughout the life of the perch. This is because different size perch need different food. Without it they may be stuck at a particular weight.

As for fishing such waters, click on the link in my signature for links to my perch articles. The one that is likely to be most relevant to your pond is "Perch from Commercial Carp Waters". Here's a direct link: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/Coarse-Fishing...teve_burke.html.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net