frusrtrating

kendo

I fished a match a couple of weeks ago. I was getting take after take on the pole using paste.

The float was burying itself in the water, even to the extent of "bumping" the tip of the pole. Yet every time I lifted into the take - NOTHING!! I changed hook sizes several times from 18 all the way to 10 but could not connect with the fish! Everyone said it "was just one of those days" but it is bl00dy frutrating!! :confused: :confused:

[ 21. July 2005, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: kleinboet ]

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Steve I had tried all that you suggested thats why I made the original post because I could not understand how I kept missing these bites I was getting bites on all the baits I used,worm,sweetcorn,bread,paste, soft pellets,and meat.I now believe that perhaps bingo was correct and that they were line bites,I will have to go again same swim same baits to find out exactly whats happening.

I have wrestled with reality for 46 years,still wrestling.

If they are line bites then maybe the lift method with the float half cocked would work. then if the float pops up then a fish has definately got the bait in its mouth. I have only just started using this method myself for tench and have found that I get less bites but more fish hooked.

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

Anthony78:

If they are line bites then maybe the lift method with the float half cocked would work. then if the float pops up then a fish has definately got the bait in its mouth. I have only just started using this method myself for tench and have found that I get less bites but more fish hooked.

Ant

yes that was also something I tried still couldn't hit them thought I had it sussed when I changed to the lft method the bait had to be in their mouth right

kendo i fished a pool about the same the other night had the same problums ,only at 9.30 pm did they really feed well and i had a 10lb and a 7lb .one of the locals suggested 4 swan shot just up from the hook giving a semi bolt effect ,he said it worked for a while .cheers big al

british by birth ,english by the grace of god

cheers big AL I know what your suggesting is not strictly a bolt rig as conventional bolt rigs go,but bolt rigs are banned on this water and they do check,not sure if I could get away with it,but it is a good idea mmmmmm.

Kendo

My pennys worth ....... experiment on fishing overdepth anything from a couple of inches to 8-12 inches. If they're still taking and you're not hitting them then try sitting one or 2 swan shot on the bottom to create some resistance to help set the hook (really just an extension of fishing the lift method so i can't see how anyone could class it a bolt rig). You could also fish the float well overdepth to the swanshot(s)tighten up on it and get more of a float/leger effect enabling quicker contact when the fish takes (small peacock quill fished flat on top of the water works well for this)

Also how about giving a big bunch of maggots a go?

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one's lifespan........

Kendo,

Everything you have said suggests you ae suffering line bites. Think about it ...2 1/2 ft water ...a 5lb carp takes up a lot of that when head down feeding. At this time of year the fish are active and dont feed delicateltly. Even the current from a waft of the tail can sink a lightly shotted float. So your float goes ...you strike a liner and the water explodes as the fish is spooked. Even fishing lift method does not eliminate line bites as this method relies more than any other for tight line and something bumping it will up set the balance and register a bite.

The answer is undershot your float and fish deeper so your bait and feed area is further away from the vertical portion of your line 4 or 5 ft in 2 1/2 ft would still work. Ensure you feed the area past your float where your bait lies and not round your float.

You should not have problems with deep hooked fish as fish eat and move on for the next bit at this time of year and I assume as you are fishing a commercial where barbless will be compulsory.

You will still get liners and missed bites due to the overstocking nature of these fisheries.... but you will greatly increase your catches.

If all else fails go on a straight lead and the tip...even if you are only fishing 5 yards out as this eliminates the vertical portion of your line...DONT hit twiches ...wait for the rod to rip round ...

Thats how I would do it ..but dont try it in january! :P

Dave

Save Our Sharks Member

www.save-our-sharks.org

I couldn't agree more. These are definately liners.

One method I have used with extreme success of commercials where there are loads of 3-10lb carp is spraying (not what you think)

Fish a small crystal waggler at about 6-18inches depth with a hooklength breaking strain you are happy with and cast out. Then continuously fire out 3-5 maggots around the float. This literally needs to be done none stop. Do not strike on any dips of the float but wait for your rod tip (which should be pointing straight at the float) to bend round. Then pick up the rod and hey presto one carp for you.

The constant feeding really gets the carp up in the water at this time of year competing for the bait. Especially if you are fishing to a feature you can really bag up using this.

This explination isn't as thorough as it could be but am in a bit of a rush. If you need more info drop me an email and will send a more detailed method to ya.

Tight Lines

thanks everyone for all the advice you really are a great bunch,I have taken much on board and will put into practise when I return there,unfortunately it is going to be a couple of weeks