Grinding to a halt

Vagabond

Over the last three weeks, I have noticed that while server reponse may be rapid when I first connect with the internet, it gradually gets slower and slower and slower....until after a couple of hours, it is unworkable, and eventually I get a message "the programme is not responding". This seems to happen whether I am using the computer or not - like, if I am into AN, then go and have breakfast, by the time I come back the screen is frozen up and "not responding"

Running C-cleaner removes cookies, temp files, etc, but seems to make no appreciable difference.

I have been driven to having to do a crash switchoff, then reboot - and things improve - for a while.....

Is this a symptom of an overloaded hard drive, or something more sinister ?

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Dave, have you done a defrag ? Just might help a bit.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Dave, have you done a defrag ? Just might help a bit.

WTF is a defrag? :D

RNLI Governor

WTF is a defrag? :D

It re-sacks all the info on your hard drive so it can find it quicker. You should be able to find it in your control panel somewhere, try a search for defragmenter. If you have never done it, it will take sometime to do, but worth doing.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Over the last three weeks, I have noticed that while server reponse may be rapid when I first connect with the internet, it gradually gets slower and slower and slower....until after a couple of hours, it is unworkable, and eventually I get a message "the programme is not responding". This seems to happen whether I am using the computer or not - like, if I am into AN, then go and have breakfast, by the time I come back the screen is frozen up and "not responding"

Running C-cleaner removes cookies, temp files, etc, but seems to make no appreciable difference.

I have been driven to having to do a crash switchoff, then reboot - and things improve - for a while.....

Is this a symptom of an overloaded hard drive, or something more sinister ?

Vagabond

I doubt that this is caused by disk fragmentation, but it is worth doing. The built in defragmenter is really slow. I suggest that you go and download either the Auslogics defragger or the Piriform offering (Piriform are the same company that do CCleaner).

In the mean time, can you tell me which OS you have (including service packs) and what browser you are using.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

If you have never done it, it will take sometime to do, but worth doing.

I've defragged a few times and never actually noticed any change in performance.

When a computer really slows down it is often due to lack of memory. Once it has to start paging stuff onto disk and back, with access times a thousand times slower than memory, then things really get sslloooooowwww.

Whenever my computer grinds to a halt it seems to be the anti virus program deciding that its needs are more important than mine are!

I always defrag for peace of mind rather than any actual improvement, well that's what it seems like anyway.

How much RAM do you have Dave? As Colin says, RAM or lack of it is a possible cause.

When a computer really slows down it is often due to lack of memory.

Spot on Colin ! Since my last post I have had a "low on virtual memory" warning.

So I need to do some spring cleaning of all the hundreds of photos I have got stored, and burn about 80% of them onto a CD, then free up the potential space.

...and not just computers :):)

...and thanks to the rest of you, I will keep your solutions in mind, and the new word I have learnt today!

Defragmentation - sounds like an explosion in reverse.......

Edited by Vagabond

RNLI Governor

Dave

It's RAM your running out of, not disk space. By all means clean up your disk space (run the defrag after you have done that) but you really need to buy some more RAM for your PC.

Edited by corydoras

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

cutting down on the amount of startup items there is should help a lot with regards to virtual memory.

go to Start> Run> type 'msconfig'

select start up from the tabs and uncheck the ones you think you dont need, just be sure not to disable any programs you actualy require like anti virus, check the file path next to each item this will help identify what each item is. so get rid of things like adobe auto update, real player, real player scheduler, winamp, etc etc

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk