which rods

Fishing4carp

i was going to buy the grey's prodigy rod in either a 3lb or 3.5lb TC from the tackle box, but someone i know has a set of the original fox rangemaster rods in the 3lb TC that he wants to sell, they seem like a decent rod but the blank seems a little heavy to me, i was wondering if the grey's prodigy rods in either the 3lb or 3.5lb TC are lighter(blanks)and made better i know they come with SIC eyes :confused:

pokey joe

i need them for heavy leads/feeders/pva bags and some long range, thats why i was thinking about getting a 3lb or 3.5lb TC. the rods i'm using now are only 2.25lb TC and they don't handle the heavy stuff to well like method feeders and heavy leads casting long distance i fish some big lakes(1000+ acres) and some big rivers and sometimes i need to cast 100+ yards using heavy leads

The reason i ask Fishing4carp is,i have seen a trend on other forums of posts by young lads,12-15 years old,wanting info on buying 3 and 3.5lb test curve rods. :rolleyes: :confused:

What on earth they would want a rod with a test curve of that poundage is beyond me

There is no way a lad who probably weighs 6 stone wringing wet could compress a rod of that test curve to gain the distances they SAY they need. :(:(

I think they look at the big names in the mags and it says "caught on a 3.5 tc Century or whatever" and assume they need a rod of that strength. :rolleyes:

The reality of it is they would probably be able to cast further with a 2.5 tc than with a 3.5,because they would be able to utilise the power in the butt section,which after all is where power of the cast comes from.

Sorry for rambling on,i find it hard to comprehend,there probably just mini tackle tarts doing their apprenticeship :D:D

Had a quiet smile to myself when I read your post pokey, you & I both know 90% of our local waters are less than 3 acres, often a lot less.

Yet there is no shortage of anglers who are sat there behind 3 - 3.5lb rods tooled up with pit reels!!

The usual reason given when I ask, is "I've got the capability there to fish the big waters if I want to" So in order to have that option they use massively overgunned tackle for 95% of their fishing.

Or is it as Pokey suggests, they see their hero's in the mags fishing their inland seas & blindly follow the fashion.

Peter.

The loose lines gone..STRIKE.

i reckon it's a bit of both. But what you have to remember is that with the amount of tackle you MUST take carp fishing these days, it gets very heavy to carry. So therefore most choose to fish near the car park. The fish soon wise up and move further away. You then need 3.5 tc rods and 5 oz leads to reach them

After a while, you buy a luggage barrow and move round the lake to the part where the carp are. You need the barrow to carry all the 5 oz leads.

For the record, I use 2.25 TC 12 foot Mk 1 Armalites for ALL my Carp fishing. I built them 8 years ago. I can put a 2 - 2.5 oz lead about 100 yards, accurately and consistently with a small stringer. If I can't reach the carp, I go home. If I don't catch, I go home! But I don't have to go home very often.

Dunk Fairley

Fighting for anglers' rights - Join SAA today at http://www.saauk.org

I've heard good reports on all of these rods. However, for the money you're talking about you could get a custom-built rod like the Free Spirit ones.

Better still have a word with top rod-builder Nick Buss, who's really knows his stuff and is a very good caster as well as being a long time BCSG member. His number is 01233-634832, and the best time to call is afternoon or early evening.

Tell Nick exactly what you want the rods to do and I'm sure he'll be able to help. He's made quite a few already for other Forum members, who have reported on previous threads how pleased they've been.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net