swapping over to braid

mike1234

my method of fishing is usually float fishing with a match rod and have a second rod on a bite alarm to target carp,tench,bream, etc a lot of my fishing is done a close range and i rarely hit into anything over 10lb

but a lot of people keep telling me the benefits of swapping over to braid but i am not sure if i need it because i rarely fish large waters where i have a lot of line off the reel and don't seem to be struggling to register bites using mono

does anyone here think its worth me swapping and if so any recommendations would be much appreciated

cheers,

mike

Why don't you ask one of the folk recommending braid, to let you borrow a reel for a couple of sessions and see if you can appreciate the benefits. If there's nothing to be gained, don't bother. If it changes your life forever, keep the reel and pretend you can't be found...lol

....Andy....

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

If you are fishing at close range and under the rod tip there is no real reason to use braid and if you do it would be wise to use it in conjunction with a good length of rig tube to ensure adequate protection to any fish caught.

For the sort of stillwater fishing that you describe, I really don't see any advantage to be had from braid.

Don't get me wrong, I use braids for about 80% of my fishing and love it in the right circumstances but you would have to learn new knots, you'd get the inevitable tangles and at least until you got used to the differenced between braid and mono, you'll suffer more crackofs and more fish being "bumped off".

As has already been said, if it ain't broke.....

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Im a bit old fashioned and it took me a while to get round to useing braid. Certainly for my piking i havent regreted it but i still use mono for most of my river fishing and have no problem with it. If your catching fish and happy with mono stick with it

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

I use it for lure fishing - for which it is brilliant - and also when you need to feel the bite e.g. trundling some meat, lob or a bit of bread into a tight spot. I always use a mono hooklink with the latter methods, but it is good to feel the bite and it is certainly more intense when/if you get one!

For a lot of situations braid leaves mono standing but for some then mono is still the best choice.

Rather listening to just a reccomendation to use any item of tackle always ask why! Find out about the new items properties and work out what advantages/dissadvantages these will give you in any situation.

Use it because you choose it as its the correct thing for the job not just because its trendy!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!