Soaking Baits

Elton

Do you soak your baits? Do you think it gives you the edge? What do you use?

Answers on a fluro pop-up, please.....

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I sometimes soak mine for hours when things are slow. Rig it, cast it, soak it, wait for a bite.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Totally agree with the above.On easy/hungrey waters over flavoured hook baits work really well.On hard,pressurised waters they are the kiss of death! here soaking your hook baits in lake water for a few days to produce a "washed out" bait (like the other freebies that have been sat out there for the same amount of time works well.I dont bother soaking them just dont change them! that way they are always at the same level as the first ones introduced.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Funny you should say that, Budgie.

I was talking to Julian a few weeks back and he was telling me of one water he fished a while back where washed out baits were the only way to go at one point. By washed out, I mean washed out well in advance of the planned trips.

After a while, the fish must have cottoned on and the habits changed.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

IMO soaking baits can't be a bad idea.

Left in a tub of soak for a length of time your pellets, bolies or whatever will take in the oil/soak they are immersed in. I reckon it can give your hookbait the edge needed.

I think there's confusion here on soaking baits (in soaks/dips)or washing them out in lake water. I don't do either but then I also don't use flavours. If washing out baits works then make your baits weaker - or don't use flavours at all (and save some money). Alternatively leave your baits out for the duration of the session, i.e. don't recast at all. One of my mates swears by this and his catch rates are very good and he leaves them for up to 72 hours. It also appeals to my lazy nature

Rob.

"If washing out baits works then make your baits weaker - or don't use flavours at all"

Not realy what its about Rob.The real reason is to have the hook bait exactly the same as "safe" free oferings that have been in the water some time.

"Alternatively leave your baits out for the duration of the session, i.e. don't recast at all."

I think this is the simplist way of achieving it to.

[ 27. October 2004, 01:33 AM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

RobStubbs:

I think there's confusion here on soaking baits (in soaks/dips)or washing them out in lake water. I don't do either

I frequently do both. Bait into a glug, cast out, no fish so the bait does a nice lake-water soak for a while.

Not so much by choice, that lake-water soak. Just slow fishing and a lazy angler who doesn't feel like reeling in, changing bait, casting out.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President