baitrunner reels

zenith10

Newt I dont think anyone can set a clutch correctly until they get a decent fish on when a few minor adjustments may need to be made.

BUT there are times when the clutch does need to be adjusted.

Example :

If I am snag fishing fully locked up, once I get a fish into open water I like to loosen the clutch incase it makes any runs or a final bid for freedom at the net as I am normally by myself.

I like to enjoy the fight and dont see the point of putting on to much pressure if not needed.

I am still awaiting a shimano baitrunner WITH built in fighting drag (a brilliant clutch mechanism).

SOME BLOKE AT SHIMANO HAS JUST THOUGHT - NOW THERES AN IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tighten the main drag if casting heavy or long to prevent line burn on my 'trigger finger'. I then set the main drag to a decent 'fishing' setting.

I have an old DAM 'bait runner' - but this one has a front mounted main drag with rear freespool drag, I'm much keener on my Diawa's which have very fine adjustment of both freespool tension (underneath) and main drag (rear) as well as a nice big 'freespool' lever on the rear.

I had a shimmy & thought it a bit lightweight so swapped it.

A lot of the cheaper 'freespool' reels I've seen are exactly that, they only freespool with no adjustment to the tension, not practical in most situations.

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.