baitrunner reels

zenith10

i was wondering do these have some kind of front drag so when the fish sudenly shoots off while your fighting it it doesnt snap you. rear drag reels obviously have them at the back and you adjust them there but how do you adjust baitrunners? is it alright to use baitrunners for river fishing?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got four baitrunner type reels, all of which are different brands.

Three of them, a Browning, a Silstar & an Okami(spelling??) all require the drag for playing a fish to be adjusted via the front spool, with the freespool tension being adjusted via the rear knob (for want of a better word)

The 4th & only a recent buy is a Shimano. All the adjusting is done via the two knobs at the back of the reel.

I've not yet played a fish on my Shimano, so can't comment on which is the better option - BUT - I've always said that i find it awkward/cumbersome adjusting the clutch whilst playing a fish via the front of the spool. So much so that I more often than not don't try & adjust it whilst playing a fish, just set it so a fish can't take too much line & backwind when I reckon the fish needs some line.

I'm eager to find out if my Shimano is easier to adjust whilst playing a fish & if so may change my methods.

Regards.

You're right Rabster. I used to use a Wychwood Rogue where you had to change the drag on top of the spool which was quite annoying I must admit. Bought some Shimano's and much prefer playing a fish and re-adjusting the clutch at the bottom of the reel.

Hope that makes sense

Dan

Shimano's are the ony true 'baitrunners', as it's their trademark and, having developed the system, their system is best, imo.

As explained above, my 8010's have two adjusters on the back. Imagine one usual adjuster with another thinner, but larger one in front (if that makes sense). The 'normal' one is your spool adjustment - easy to adjust whilst playing a fish. The other one is your freespool adjustment - slightly more awkward, but you only need to adjust it once, usually.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

zenith10:

is it alright to use baitrunners for river fishing?

Mised that bit before - 'yes' is the answer :)

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

Spot on, Dan. I should have done that :)

Daiwa 'bite'n run' reels also have a rear 'fighting' drag with the 'freespool' drag knob mounted under the reel - both very easy to adjust & 1/2 the price new of a shimmy.

http://www.tackleshop.co.uk/ProductDetails...tegoryID/171/v/

It would appear most other 'bait runner' freespool reels use a front drag for the main spool.

Anyone know of any others which do not have front drag?

PS to get around shimmys hold on 'baitrunner' as a trade name why don't others just say 'bait runner'? not registerable as two 'proper words in everyday use'?!

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

I have four free spool reels,one is a mitchell three are the Dam Finessa reels and all four have their main drag adjustment at the rear. The Dam reels have the freespool adjuster in the centre of the spool and you depress the inner of the spool to disengage the reel. Sounds strange till you try it, those long time carpers will remember the reels as endorsed by Des Taylor and Andy Little