Choosing Carp Reels

Elton

Posted on behalf of Clay. Please add all replies to this thread:

People i need reel help

I was after 3 budget reels here is what i have in mind

Mitchell Premium 50 or Okuma Interceptor 360

or at the higher end of my budget which is MAX

Mitchell 5500 or Shimano 6000 st or Daiwa Regal 5000 or Okuma Epix

please advise on which would be best for me for regular carping please.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Posted on behalf of Clay. Please add all replies to this thread:

Uncanny. I just logged on to ask this exact same question myself! Now I'm gonna hijack your thread :P

I want mine to double-up to do some piking with next winter also, if that makes any difference?

What size reel/capacity would you recommend to fish at 50m range tops?

Personally I like Aluminium spools, and I like at least one spare per reel so I have to take this into consideration.

I've looked at the Daiwa Regals and wasn't a fan; it seemed too cheaply made and I managed to get the freespool locked up several times when playing with them in the shop. It's a shame as I had such high expectations of them, heard great reports and they were within my budget. Maybe the Regal Plus models are worth the little extra?

The Shimanos have a great reputation but the lack of a spare spool, or the additional cost of one worries me although a good second-hand one could be an option. The vast range of models confuses me no end, though. Which ones should we be looking for?

I have a smaller Okuma Interceptor and whilst I think it's a great reel for the money, I think the Epix might be worth spending the extra money on. An extra spool and bearings would be great. I wonder if they have any extra cranking power? Don't forget all new Okumas come with 5 year guarantees. These are my current fave choice. Don't think there is an affiliate link, but CheshireFishing have 20% off if you buy 2 or more Okumas at present.

I haven't had the opportunity to check out any Mitchells yet. If these are the 5500s you were talking about, Cheshire have them at 2 for £30.

The Fox Stratos 7000/10000E could also be worth a look.

Come on guys, educate us!

I'll give my usual opinion - the original Shimano Baitrunner 5000 GTE, secondhand, from ebay. They don't come up that often (tells its own story), and at the moment ebay only has the GTE-C.

I hate fishing with big, heavy reels. The 5000 is plenty big enough. I've fished at 80 yards with mine, and even then with a different rod they'd have cast a bit further! I use mine for everything including pike.

They usually come with a spare spool. I picked one up second-hand from ebay recently with a spare spool for just over £50 inc P&P.

For regular carping with heavier rods, the 6000 would probably balance better.

I am normally sceptical of any hype surrounding brands/tackle, but the Shimano reels are one that lives up to it, although (as I said in a recent topic) the new ones seem to be lacking something.

Just my opinion!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

For regular Carping it maybe worth looking for some original Shimano GTE 6010s. Easier to find and less expensive than the 5000 GTEs which are excellent but would be more suitable where distance is required. If you are only fishing medium range then the original Triton 3500s with a superb front clutch would also fit the bill. In either case the build quality in my opinion is far superior than the current models.

The usual sage advice about Shimano's holds good they are well made and reliable I have three of the 5000s but the Okumas do have the five year warranty and it has to be said that the clutch on the okumas is a great deal better than the Shimano's.

For a lot of my carping I tend to use my Okumas in preference to the shimano reels for that reason go for the 50 size which is the best all round size

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Elton, looking at the Mitchell reels again, I think your mate was talking about the Premium reels, or the more expensive Avorunners. The ones I linked to look a bit like those cheapy Leeda ones we got from Tescos recently!

It seems most people still prefer the old skool Shimanos! I think I'll opt for the Okumas with the warranty and extra spool.

If he's interested in a smaller Okuma, Amazon have the 50 sized Interceptors at £25 each delivered.

Otherwise, the larger Travertine look well specced for the money, although I don't know where you'd stand warranty-wise if bought from ebay, anyone?

BTW, I'm sure there is there a post somewhere on how to add affiliates to links such as ebay, or does it do it automatically?

Guest tigger
Im with Tinca get some second hand 6010's.

...........or the 8010's and the 5010's. I think they'll out last all the other shimano's with their very tough graphite bodies. I also like the older shimano 8000 gte's and the 5000 gte's in black. I managed to get a boxed brand spankin new 5000 gte and spare spool off ebay from a closing down shop for 60 notes the other day, it was advertised in the wrong section so not noticed by ebayers B)

Guest tigger
It seems most people still prefer the old skool Shimanos! I think I'll opt for the Okumas with the warranty and extra spool.

Rob, shimanos come with a spare spool. That's two spools per reel but you can always buy more if you like.