Sywell Country Park

goosequill

I can recall reading quite a lot about Sywell years ago - one of the Tench 'Meccas' of the UK.

I have only just realised, after almost six years (I don't look at maps that often), that I do not live an extraordinary distance from this fabled water and it appears to be open to anyone to fish now.

Does anyone still fish there for the big tench?

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Ooh, can I come? :)

This is from the Tenchfishers website:

General

An Edwardian Reservoir situated between Northampton and Wellingborough, close to the villages of Sywell and Earls Barton, a short distance off the A4500 and now recognised as one of the leading Tench fisheries in the country. This water is available on day tickets, concession/evening tickets, 24hr tickets, 12 month season tickets and Winter Pike permits.

Tench to over 12lb have been caught at Sywell, although the average is around the 7lb mark. Sywell had a great year for specimen Tench during 2007 with more than 10 fish caught over the magic 10lbs weight. The fishery also contains Pike to over 30lb, Roach over 2lbs and a large number of Perch and Rudd.

Early season Tench fishing has many advantages such as less weed growth (allowing you to land the fish more easily even when using finer lines) and less natural food available to the fish which means a greater chance of your bait being picked up.

Getting A Ticket

Tickets are available 24/7 from the Rangers Office and must be purchased before commencement of fishing.

Ticket Prices

Day only ticket (Dawn to dusk) - £8.00

Concession ticket (Under 16's & disabled) - £4.00

Evening ticket (After 4.00pm until dusk) - £4.00

24hr ticket - £12.00

Concession Season ticket (36hr maximum stay*) - £50.00

Season ticket (36hr maximum stay*) - £100.00

Tenchfishers are entitled to a 10% discount on Season Tickets (on production of green membership card)

Winter Pike only permit (valid 1st Oct - 31st March) - £60.00

(* Stays over 36hrs by arrangement)

Sounds like you just turn up, pay, and fish.

I remember years ago there was a 'float only' rule - I wonder if that's still in force?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Ooh, can I come? :)

This is from the Tenchfishers website:

Sounds like you just turn up, pay, and fish.

I remember years ago there was a 'float only' rule - I wonder if that's still in force?

Anderoo -

Thanks for that - was surprised to see it was effectively a 'day-ticket' water as I'm sure it was a club that controlled it in its 'heyday'

If you want to pop over some time (even just for a recee) then let me know - it can't be more than a hours drive from me.

Goosequill

' The "Dandy of the Stream", a veritable Beau Brummell, that is the Perch and well he knows it!' --The Observers's Book of Freshwater Fishes of the British Isles

Visit My Galleries

Sounds good!

Has anyone here fished it recently?

I read an article recently about it (Bob Roberts, I think) and it does sound interesting. Very weedy. He was using a rake and was surprised that, rather than scaring the tench, raking brought them into his swim straight away. 'Study to be quiet' may be old Isaak's motto, but I think 'study to make as much racket as possible' is probably better advice for Sywell tench!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Sounds good!

Has anyone here fished it recently?

I read an article recently about it (Bob Roberts, I think) and it does sound interesting. Very weedy. He was using a rake and was surprised that, rather than scaring the tench, raking brought them into his swim straight away. 'Study to be quiet' may be old Isaak's motto, but I think 'study to make as much racket as possible' is probably better advice for Sywell tench!

And not just for Sywell either i can think of at least two lakes local to me that respond very positively to raking.

Re the float only rule at Sywell i am led to believe that is now not applicable and that ledgering is ok now but only up to a maximum of one ounze but don't quote me on that.

Answered further down the page at http://www.tenchfishers.com/sywell.html...

Rules For Sywell Country Park

All fish must be returned alive

All anglers must have a valid rod licence

All anglers must be in possession of a valid ticket before commencing fishing (Available from the ranger's office)

Under 12s must be accompanied by an adult

No bait boats

No tents

Anglers are responsible for clearing all litter in their swim

Barbless hooks only (max size 8 for tench fishing)

Unhooking mats to be used by all anglers

Anti-tether leads and feeders only (e.g. sliding or break-away).

1oz. max lead weights

No landing nets smaller than 30"

Keepnets for silverfish only. No tench or pike in keepnets

2 rods max for tench fishing

Pike season 1st October - 31st March

Bite alarm volume must be kept to a minimum

No Livebaits

All Pike rigs must have a wire trace

Edited by WickerDave

Im planning on a trip there sometime soon, im only half hour (ish) away in Luton. Ive seen the John Wilson episode where he caught some lovely fish, also read Bob Roberts piece in Course fisherman (think Matt Brown was fishing with him??)

Does look like a great place to fish!

Also, Ive heard good things about Emberton Country Park for the tench, Ive only fished the lakes for the carp myself but Im sure it was mentioned a few times on Tenchfishers forums.

Both quite good places for a fish in, if theyve not been done already!

Do excuse and typos/grammar etc, im trying to type on my missus netbook........give me a full size keyboard any day!!

Phil