How it used to be.

Peter Waller

Not sure how old this pic is but I think the scene must be from well over 100 years back, they don't look like broadland bumpkins though, and no engines on these rods, (sorry about the bit of flash, pic still behind glass)

Posted Image

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest sslatter

Here's a poor quality repro of an aquatint taken from the original oil. It's been renamed "Thursday" but I'm pretty sure that the original is called "Friday", but I could be wrong.

Posted Image

"How it used to be" but lots more recently. For any who haven't read it, This interview with Frank Wright about fishing that area in the 50s & 60s is interesting.

Can anyone date the photo on This page? Certainly not recent since the photographer died in the 1930s.

[ 21. December 2004, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

I do know the book Graham. I enjoy all of Wentworth-Day's writings, despite the fact that the locals discovered a good tale was worth a pint of twos and dear old James was apt to repeat their yarns!

Re 'Thursday', probably would have been Thursday! Catch 'em on Thursday, eat 'em on Friday.

AJP, probably the forerunner of todays Southern carp anglers!!

Jim, amazing how many Gentlemen had a 'man'. As a kid I used to fish with such a pair. Myself and the 'Gentleman' used to fish from the aft poop deck of a beautiful steam yacht, about five feet above water level. The 'man', a life-long companion to the old boy, used to sit in the yacht's tender, just below us, baiting, netting and unhooking for us. Yes, I lived a privileged child-hood, didn't even have to touch the bait or the fish!

[ 23. December 2004, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: Peter Waller ]

Thanks for both of those Newt. I knew Frank Wright!

Re the photograph, the text gave the date, 1886!!

It was taken in July '85 and was one of a series incorporating the same family as subjects.

Newt, does it have a date i.e. ca 1886 ?

Den.

[ 21. December 2004, 06:54 PM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Wentworth Day also wrote a popular book called, 'A History of the Fens' Graham. I'm afraid many of the people he wrote about had little regard for him though, he's considered something of a joke in the Fens.

Slodger (Chris Hammond.)

'We should be fishin'