Foul hooked Bream

jonnyp

Alright all

Whilst out fishing a local water yesterday i had a very good day catching lots of Tench , Roach and a few Chub. Towards the end of my session i caught 2 large Bream but both were foul hooked. I was fishing dead bottom and was wondering why both of them were foul hooked????? Tight lines to all.

Jp

Jp <"))))><

It could be as simple as having a shoal in front of you and you striking at line bites.

Or it could be something to do with the mechanics of the rig you were using. Method feeders have a tendency to foul hook when there's a shoal competing for food in the swim.

Hi,

I had a problem like this when fishing on a carp lake when I went on holiday, the problem was initially caused by the amount of fish feeding over the bait but was increased by me using a pellet ring on the hook to hold a pellet. I'm not sure why this caused a problem but I think it is because the pellet sits on the bottom and the hook sits above it which causes fish to hook themselves on a fin. This was confirmed by my dad also getting the same problem when he switched to using the pellet band/ring but when switching to a hair rig did not have the same problem.

If you are using a pellet band then this might be increasing the problem.

Errrm

I agree it is all to do with fish competing for food that does it. Nothing to do with rigs but the method is sometimes to blame as the short hooklength does cause more bream to get foul hooked.

That's surely something to do with the rig then!?

That's surely something to do with the rig then!?

Not really, it can just be that there are a lot of fish in the swim and fighting for groundbait. All fish are competetive when it comes to food. When you strike you might not be striking at a bite but at a fish swimming ito the line. The only thing wrong with the rig if, indeed there is something wrong, is that there is a hook on the end of it.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

It's everything to do with the rig, if you're using a method feeder when fish are competing for the food ball the short hooklink causes foul hooking.

That's a direct result of the rigs mechanics, so much so I'm not keen on using it on heavily stocked waters as a consequence.

Interesting debate.

I think I would prefer to reserve judgement until I found out, what method he was using, where the fish were hooked, how the bait was hooked, size of bait/hook, and a few other things.

Any of the reasons mentioned could be a factor, but so could a bait on a long 'tail', being lifted off the bottom by the movement of the fish.

Too many unknowns.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Interesting debate.

I think I would prefer to reserve judgement until I found out, what method he was using, where the fish were hooked, how the bait was hooked, size of bait/hook, and a few other things.

Any of the reasons mentioned could be a factor, but so could a bait on a long 'tail', being lifted off the bottom by the movement of the fish.

Too many unknowns.

John.

Yes I agree John, way to many unknowns and going by the way Jonnyp said he was "fishing dead bottom" would suggest to me he was on some kind of float rig not a feeder rig.

I have spent a lot of time using method feeders for bream and never had a problem with foul hooking. Which would make me think if anyone is having a problem with foul hooked bream on it, it most be something they are doing wrong. Things like feeding in to tight an area for the size of shoal or having your feed/feeder more appealing than your hook bait could be the cause of it.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

Interesting debate.

Too many unknowns.

John.

I was fishing my pole. Set up was 2lb hooklink size 20 hook fished dead bottom. Right up against some weed on the bottom.

Jp <"))))><