CAR SCRAPPAGE SCHEME

Elton

Had to be too good to be true, didn't it?

• From next month until March 2010 motorists to get £2,000 discount on new cars if they trade in cars older than 10 years

• The government will provide £1,000 with the industry expected to provide the other half

I wonder if car retailers will put their prices up by a grand some time soon? :rolleyes:

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

It would seem that you will need to have owned the car for a minimum qualifying period too, so no snapping something up for 50 quid from eBay to get a discount on a new motor. And, it only applies to brand new cars. So, these people who are currently running a ten year old car, likely to be in the market for a brand new car? Isn't this just pushing more people to borrow money to buy cars they can't afford and don't need? And scrapping a perfectly good old car to manufacture a new one, that's green is it?

It's like the last days of Rome.

It's like the last days of Rome.

Indeed. Poledark still has the Vectrus Chariot, made by Moturus Generalus, that he got 25 denarii off when he traded in his old one.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I've only had a quick look at the budget but to say that its disjointed and inconsistant is an understatement.

They're allegedly trying to:

* Stimulate UK manufacturing.

* Boost car sales.

* Follow a green agenda.

So why not set up a scheme like this that is limited to fuel efficient cars that are manufactured in the UK ?

As I read the current statement, they will reward you with £2000 for trading in a small efficient Reliant Robin for an 8.5L Dodge Viper that is manufactured in America !

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

im not sure why people think its a bad idea. its been done here for years and is popular and succesfull.

it started life here as "plan prever",ive taken advantage myself in the past,getting rid of an old polo for a new opel.

Most of the "new ideas" that this lot in britain come up with,are in fact old schemes from other places! and why not? if it works use it.

The problem is that it's not a 'green' alternative. The only winners are the government with extra tax revenue from the manufacturers and the purchaser. That's why they push it!

To scrap a perfectly functional ten year old car is a waste of materials and averaged out over the lifespan of the car has a much smaller "carbon footprint" than buying a freshly made new car regardless of the claimed fuel economy.

We have two cars for everyday use (average age 36yrs) and I have 4 motorcycles (average age 46.5 years) one of which is a mere 12 years old.

The moral?................it's a lot cheaper to buy a half decent welder than to buy a new car every few years! :D

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

you lot go on as though its compulsory to chop your car in! :lol:

if you want to drive around in an old car carry on!if you want to exchange it great.take the money!

over here,the scrapyards have to take scrap cars for free,they are stripped down,and profits made from the sale of parts, starter motors for example,(they are sold to north africa).

The steel is recycled,even the tyres,used to make road surfaces etc.The yards make a good living.

When a car is taken in under our "plan prever" it is automatically scrapped.

There is a separate scheme for small vehicles with commercial vehicles. like i said,it works here,why not in britain?