Bite Indicator Question

Del_R

*Anthony*:

Same as Nugg, I use the Fox micro swings under an alarm. But doesn't it just drive you crazy when anglers just "have" to have their alarms turned up to the max? Not to mention when they tighten their line after casting without the simple task of turning the alarm off while doing so.

Jeezus, it would even save their batteries!

I also use Fox micro swingers.

If really close I will use a Jw bobbin.

I have my micron (one mini, one mx) set as low as possible and also have black electrical tape over the sounder the muffle the bleep (also makes alarm more waterproof).

I only turn my alarms on when I have cast and clipped on the swingers as it is very annoying listening to someone setting their swingers / drop etc with the alarm on!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MicronPS have a lot of problems.The main one being that they use a mercury tilt switch,anyone who builds there own indicators will have tried to use these and found out how problematic they are.Great attention is required in setting them up.

A lot of my mates(including my brother who is deaf) have used/use the Ghetto Blaster.I have converted literally hundreds of them to a better buzzer and line clip/arm assembly.They are reliable and robust,the only thing I dont like is the fact that they are a bit more bulky than they need to be.I used to convert the basic ET Backbiters now I just build them from scratch.This is a lot easier than it sounds.

Russ if you cannablise your old Ghetto Blasters and spend about £5 oneach alarm at an electronics shop like Maplins you will be able to make a nice,small,neat and far superior alarm than anything on the market at the moment.

I have no problem with front mounted alarms used in conjunction with rear drop arm indicators just that as I live baitand use multi rod tactics a lot the Backbiter/GhettoBlaster style suits my fishing better ie less false blips.

I hve never rated carp style indicators for pike it isnt expensive to get the right thing so why dont people?In fact it isnt hard to make these either.Will see if I can find a link to an old article on this subject.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

wicked cheers for the info mate,are they really that diffrent to setting up a ghetto blaster?i thought it was same principal?this months p+p explains the mecury tilt switch,is it really that easy to build one?ive took my'n apart to clean it now n again,and the circuitry looks quite simple i suppose i could use the one ive got to source parts(as a refrence if you get my meaning) and make my own cover and arm the only bit that might confuse me is th electric bits.see the micron front alarms would be good cos i fish for all sorts not just pike,ive got micro swingers but i could invest in some new drop-offs,or again make em and i like to save money as much as possible as im tight..and i need 2 avon rods now!

[ 19. May 2004, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!

aaahhh i see drop-offs are easy,i can make those infact i blagged 2nite off work to go fishing tommroow,im going have a look in me bits box see if i can rustle one up!i think i am gonna get front alarms to save myself money and dissapointment with them ps's.nothing wrong with fronts(i only use two rods) as long as there set up right,any more info on the electrics part budgie :confused: thanks for ya help

[ 19. May 2004, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

The issue with the PS is the wrapping of the flexible arm around the bank stick,if it isnt exact you get all sorts of problems.Well documented if you do a search on any of the forums.

They are really simple to make.The Micron front alarm and a rear home made indicator is a good enough option too.

A couple of people have asked me to do one of my "Tackle Workshop" features on this subject.At the moment I am using a lap top so it aint really practical.I will have the PC with scanner etc set up this summer and will hopefully have an article up by the comming pike season.

nice one budge,i'm all up for making n adapting tackle,i make my own drifters,traces, pop traces etc,yeah front alarms are the one,for now..anyway im gonna go make a drop-off.

AKA RATTY

I wouldn't use PS's or any of the mercury tilt alarms. Apart from one or 2 folk who were inventive enough to completely reassemble the whole alarm (what's the point in buying them then?), everyone I've seen using them spends more time farting about with them, than I do with with 3 regular Microns and drop-offs.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I have a pair of bite alarms which, when I use them, I swich them OFF until I have set the rods and swingers and then switch them on. Voila! no noise until I get a run!!

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription