Bite Indicator Question

Del_R

I'm sure this is another of my foolish questions but here goes anyway... Is there a reason why drop-back bite indicators are attached to the front rod-rest when fishing for carp and the rear rest when fishing for pike?

Cheers,

Del

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes! the indicators you see used by carp anglers are used at the front so they help activate the bite alarm.Also carp indicators have traditionally always been used in this position.The only exception was Monkey climbers wer some times set up so that the monkey was directly in front of the reel spool.Fashion really!

Now the good old practical Pike angler has always placed his on the rear rest as he tends to use an open bail arm.The indicator sat just below and to the rear of the spool stops the line just spilling off the open spool.Simple really when you know how!

BTW Del nothing foolish about any of your questions mate.I for one and Im pretty sure most on here will always be willing to try and answer any question you ask. :)

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

This is a question that I've asked here several times myself and never got a satisfactory answer!

I use a rear indicator for both carp and pike, probably as I come from a predator background.

I prefer this as it gives me the quiet option of fishing open bail arm. With a front indicator this gives me just a bleep or two, then the indicator arm hits the box I have at the base of the rod-rest with a whack.

It also means minimal resistance to a taking fish, something very important when perch fishing.

I'm also tight and can't see the point of buying 2 sets of indicators!

The indicator I prefer is an adapted Pike Swinger, which I've reviewed at http://anglers-net.co.uk/reviews/fox-pike-swinger.htm

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Yep, using the back stick for the swinger is great, but what if, as is usually my case, you don't have level enough ground to use a back stick in the prescribed manner. The lack of room on a bank normally necessitates that my back stick is used at an angle, sloping to the rear in the bank side or to the front under the rod.

I therefore always use the front stick for the swinger. You may see this as unconventional but the problem of the line coming of the open spool is dealt with by the use of a band [ a good one of which I have found] in the manner of the demo photo below.

I use fox micro swingers which will hold a glow light if required and I also use them in conjunction with an alarm, can't see a noise problem if you turn them down, you also have the advantage of a light indication on them.

Posted Image

Same as Nugg, I use the Fox micro swings under an alarm. But doesn't it just drive you crazy when anglers just "have" to have their alarms turned up to the max? Not to mention when they tighten their line after casting without the simple task of turning the alarm off while doing so.

Jeezus, it would even save their batteries!

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

A couple of years ago, I can't remember who but someone on AN suggested using front AND back indicators whilst Pike fishing. A good idea and one I've used ever since.

Paul

*Anthony*:

Same as Nugg, I use the Fox micro swings under an alarm. But doesn't it just drive you crazy when anglers just "have" to have their alarms turned up to the max? Not to mention when they tighten their line after casting without the simple task of turning the alarm off while doing so.

Jeezus, it would even save their batteries!

I have to admit, I can be guilty of a few bleeps here and there when I tighten up but I tend to lift the rod a few inches and then lower the rod once into position once I'm happy. As for volumes, I have to have it right up. There so many things up the Highland that justlove impersonating bite alarms. Bullfinches can do a pretty good Micron. As for batteries. I've got 2 Microns that havn't seen new batteries since the day they were bought and they done some amount of fishing. Much of time I hear them switching on when I'm lugging the gear back to the motor. Sometimes that's the only 'bite' I get!! I rarely put the gear down to swith them off again either and I've never had a flat batteries or any bother.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

I know what you mean Andy.Many years ago I modified my alarms to have an alternating tone as this is far easier to hear than a single tone.Especially when the wind is blowing.Good thing about rear alarms (Back Biter/Ghetto Blaster type) is that they only go of when you have a run,well except for the occaisional drop back when a strong live comes towards you!All them false bleeps would drive me mad.Double alarms? well all I can say is If your set up is correct and you pay attention it is totally unnessasary.I also think that in general that carp style indicators are inferior to rear drop off indicators (regardless of if a front or rear alarm system is used)They certainly cause more resistance (go and try it) The rubber band as described obviously works but really all it is is a way around using the wrong piece of gear not a superior method.Another dislike of mine of the carp style indicators is that they are not as visual, all though a couple of the more modern pike indicators fall into this catagory to.

Oh,forgot to mention.A lot of people I see piking using front mounted indicators have them hanging down this totally defeats the point of using them as their main function (only function?)is to show drop back runs.

indeed budgie to many fail to tighten down and set up there bite-indication correctly,wich when piking is that little bit more important than with other fish!im currently looking at some new alarms,fox i think,microns but im very tempted to go all out n get the ps drop offs,as my ghetto blasters are getting old now. :D

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!