Hardwater Pike

severus

Ice fished with some friends today and although it was slow, this young lady in our group managed to land this 27" pike that took a minnow suspended beneath a tip-up.

Posted Image

Fortunately, the ice was 10"-12" thick, or this pressure crack might have worried me. Spring is not far off. I think I may have to start doing my annual warm-the-hell-up dance soon. :)

Posted Image

Be good and you will be lonely.
~ Mark Twain

Peter, handlines with a tip-up flag such as the one in the picture are used for pike; short rods with reels such as the ones Jeepster mentioned are used to catch other species. They're short for a reason. There's not much room inside a heated shanty, like the distant ones in the lower photo.

~ Mark Twain

Peter, you really must get up to date mate, the bivvies are camoflaged in "Realsnow" so of course you can't see them :D

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

severus:

They're short for a reason. There's not much room inside a heated shanty,

And even if there were (or you were fishing outside - in the open), given a hole maybe 12" diameter or less, do you really want a 10ft rod so that with a fish on, the tip will bend until the rod touches ice about a foot behind the tip and then keep bending in just the end/tip section? Broken rod in a hurry.
" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Here's a typical ice-fishing setup. A 30" jigging rod on the left for walleye, a swish rod on the right for perch, minnows, scoop, and a Vexilar.

The Vex is a fishfinder with a spinning circular graph which shows the surface and bottom as 2 solid red areas, and everything between is represented by either a green or red line. It sees the tiny lure 30 feet down and shows a thin green line, and if a fish appears it will be seen as a red line. They're very sensitive devices, and great for still fishing.

It's fun watching the lines intersect, then seeing the rod tip or bobber jump. :) Unfortunately, electronics don't make the fish bite, or even appear. My fishing record this winter has been awful. :rolleyes:

Posted Image

~ Mark Twain

Good pics Severus. Always been intrigued by ice-fishing. How much of the Winter does it take up? Thinking really about muskie and pike fishing(which we practice in the UK year-round but more actively in the Winter - minimal iceup problems here.).

Does the fishing for big pike & muskie stop during the Winter? I'm assuming all the lakes will freeze, or can you still find some with open water? It sounds a bit depressing, if all your stillwaters are iced up for months at a time; then again, I've never tried to ice fish, they say it's fun!

Jim.