carp taking flies

About a week ago I went down to a local gravel pit. Even though it was quite cold there were loads of carp on the surface. The thing that struck me as odd was that they were mostly in groups of around 6 fish, and only a couple of rod lengths out. A guy I was with reckoned they were gorging on flies - well I suppose that would explain why they were in groups, as flies sometimes are in little swarms.

Have others seen this phenomenon, or got any knowledge of it? I've never heard of people fly fishing for carp - have others?

john clarke

About a week ago I went down to a local gravel pit. Even though it was quite cold there were loads of carp on the surface. The thing that struck me as odd was that they were mostly in groups of around 6 fish, and only a couple of rod lengths out. A guy I was with reckoned they were gorging on flies - well I suppose that would explain why they were in groups, as flies sometimes are in little swarms.

Have others seen this phenomenon, or got any knowledge of it? I've never heard of people fly fishing for carp - have others?

I think most fish take advantage of flies on the water. I have seen flies being taken by carp before off the top. I have heard of people fly fishing for carp, There was an episode of fishing on the edge, with henry gilby where he was catching them. If i remember rightly one of the flies was a imitation dog biscuit. But they did catch some on conventional flies as well.

I see no reason why you couldn't try it, As long as the flies looked real enough. And the fish were actively feeding on the top. I would imagine a daddy long legs pattern could be quite effective.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

At a guess i would think they were on Hawthorn Flies bibio marci a terrestial fly which hatches out at this time of year and big falls of them often get blown on to lakes etc resulting of fish, not only Carp and Trout gorging on them.

Incidently John, the fly is reputed to start hatching on St Mark's day, which as you know is 25th April, and hence its latin name.

Tony

Edited by Tony U

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I've been fly fishing for Carp a lot recently and I can strongly reccomend it as it's the most fun I've had fishing so far this year.

Basically I've been using a 10wt rod with dog biscuits either hair rigged or glued on or Enterprise imitation dog biscuits which are good as they're weighted so the hook stays on the top out of the fishes sight.

All you've got to do it find a water with a good head of carp and get them feeding on the top with confidence by chucking in some freebies....all you have to do then is be very stealthy and get your fly on their noses or as close as possible to it.

Watching a feeding fish close in on your fly is great, even better when they slurp it down!

TBH you could get away with a lighter rod (7/8wt) if the fish don't go too big but playing fish on a fly rod is always going to be good fun....no gears etc and it's a beautifully simple method that requires little in the way of kit/baggage

Done that - a good method is a nymph (Greenie, Pheasant Tail, Peach Doll) fished in the surface scum in the downwind corner - five-weight outfit. None of this dog-biscuit nonsense :)

A once-in-a-lifetime experience was a cast that coincided with a carp coming up and opening its mouth just as the fly arrived. Straight in ! Unfortunately no witnesses, or I could have applied one of Dick Walker's maxims "If ever you fluke something, never let on to the onlookers you were surprised"

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Carp do take flies and I have managed to tempt a few small ones using various dry flies.

The purist fluff chuckers :P may not approve with the method I use. A float controller to give me casting weight and what ever rod I happen to have with me.

But its easy to carry a few dry flies in a tackle box, just in case you see fish feeding on flies then to carry a complete extra fly rod set up.

But it must be something special to catch one on a fly rod.

Stephen

Species Caught 2014

Zander, Pike, Bream, Roach, Tench, Perch, Rudd, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Eel, Grayling, Brown Trout, Rainbow Trout

Species Caught 2013

Pike, Zander, Bream, Roach, Eel, Tench, Rudd, Perch, Common Carp, Koi Carp, Brown Goldfish, Grayling, Brown Trout, Chub, Roosterfish, Dorado, Black Grouper, Barracuda, Mangrove Snapper, Mutton Snapper, Jack Crevalle, Tarpon, Red Snapper

Species Caught 2012
Zander, Pike, Perch, Chub, Ruff, Gudgeon, Dace, Minnow, Wels Catfish, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Roach, Bream, Eel, Rudd, Tench, Arapaima, Mekong Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Marbled Tiger Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Thai Redtail Catfish, Batrachian Walking Catfish, Siamese Carp, Rohu, Julliens Golden Prize Carp, Giant Gourami, Java Barb, Red Tailed Tin Foil Barb, Nile Tilapia, Black Pacu, Red Bellied Pacu, Alligator Gar
Species Caught 2011
Zander, Tench, Bream, Chub, Barbel, Roach, Rudd, Grayling, Brown Trout, Salmon Parr, Minnow, Pike, Eel, Common Carp, Mirror Carp, Ghost Carp, Koi Carp, Crucian Carp, F1 Carp, Blue Orfe, Ide, Goldfish, Brown Goldfish, Comet Goldfish, Golden Tench, Golden Rudd, Perch, Gudgeon, Ruff, Bleak, Dace, Sergeant Major, French Grunt, Yellow Tail Snapper, Tom Tate Grunt, Clown Wrasse, Slippery Dick Wrasse, Doctor Fish, Graysby, Dusky Squirrel Fish, Longspine Squirrel Fish, Stripped Croaker, Leather Jack, Emerald Parrot Fish, Red Tail Parrot Fish, White Grunt, Bone Fish
Species Caught 2010
Zander, Pike, Perch, Eel, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Mirror Carp, Common Carp, Crucian Carp, Siamese Carp, Asian Redtail Catfish, Sawai Catfish, Rohu, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Pacu, Long Tom, Moon Wrasse, Sergeant Major, Green Damsel, Tomtate Grunt, Sea Chub, Yellowtail Surgeon, Black Damsel, Blue Dot Grouper, Checkered Sea Perch, Java Rabbitfish, One Spot Snapper, Snubnose Rudderfish
Species Caught 2009
Barramundi, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Wallago Leeri Catfish, Wallago Attu Catfish, Amazon Redtail Catfish, Mrigul, Siamese Carp, Java Barb, Tarpon, Wahoo, Barracuda, Skipjack Tuna, Bonito, Yellow Eye Rockfish, Red Snapper, Mangrove Snapper, Black Fin Snapper, Dog Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Marble Grouper, Black Fin Tuna, Spanish Mackerel, Mutton Snapper, Redhind Grouper, Saddle Grouper, Schoolmaster, Coral Trout, Bar Jack, Pike, Zander, Perch, Tench, Bream, Roach, Rudd, Common Carp, Golden Tench, Wels Catfish
Species Caught 2008
Dorado, Wahoo, Barracuda, Bonito, Black Fin Tuna, Long Tom, Sergeant Major, Red Snapper, Black Damsel, Queen Trigga Fish, Red Grouper, Redhind Grouper, Rainbow Wrasse, Grey Trigger Fish, Ehrenbergs Snapper, Malabar Grouper, Lunar Fusiler, Two Tone Wrasse, Starry Dragonet, Convict Surgeonfish, Moonbeam Dwarf Angelfish,Bridled Monocle Bream, Redlined Triggerfish, Cero Mackeral, Rainbow Runner
Species Caught 2007
Arapaima, Alligator Gar, Mekong Catfish, Spotted Sorubim Catfish, Pacu, Siamese Carp, Barracuda, Black Fin Tuna, Queen Trigger Fish, Red Snapper, Yellow Tail Snapper, Honeycomb Grouper, Red Grouper, Schoolmaster, Cubera Snapper, Black Grouper, Albacore, Ballyhoo, Coney, Yellowfin Goatfish, Lattice Spinecheek

• 1 month later...

Hey fellas

Did it for the first time a couple of weeks ago, fly rod and fly! It was a black thing with a green tail (chenille body I think) best was about 9lb and the smallest about 6lb. It was magical to see carp coming in and take it.

Went out last week to another pit and tried everything, even the black fly, took one common about 7lb and lost another. The ral beauty of this is that if they stop cruising near you, just move on. They will ultimately find you. The course fishing gear has now taken a back seat for the time being.

Small (size 14) black or red Suspender buzzers are very good for cartching carp on.

Im with Dave as well on the issue of using mixers (be they real/artificial or even deer hair) on a fly rod and calling it fly fishing! Why would you want to do this? If you want to catch carp on flies then use flies! Not being a snob or purist but just cant understand it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!